Can not progress

Hey! Hope this is the right place for this.

I’m stuck. For a few months now, I’m somewhere in the middle of N3 and the grammar doesn’t seem to stick at all. I mix things up, I can’t remember the spelling of grammar points, and as such I don’t add new grammar to my pile. N5 and N4 went so smoothly, the beginning of N3 too, but it almost feels like my brain is saturated at this point. The reviews used to be a lot of fun but now I’m getting more and more frustrated by it.

Did anyone have similar experiences? How did you break out of it?

1 Like

I am kinda 70% done now with all the grammar on Bunpro… At 2/3 points I did struggle:

I used to study just “digitally” and add grammar points on Bunpro - Unfortunately that did not work for me. I reset my account. Ie figure out what works for you and spend some time experimenting to figure out how you learn more effectively.

Give yourself a break. Forget about reviews. Just take a break. For a week… Maybe more if necessary. Maybe after a some time, try to do some of the reviews (so they don’t over pile too much). Just not all!!! Like 10%/20% per day… And slowly pick up the pace over time.

Eg 30 reviews per day are fine. So when I start having 15 per day, I would add a grammar point.
Everybody has their SRS daily review limit :slight_smile:

Use Japanese, read a manga / light novel, play games in Japanese, watch anime… Don’t worry about learning new things for a time.

This may be weird thing but slowly try to rewrite your grammar notes using Japanese only? There are lots of websites like https://nihongokyoshi-net.com/ and books like Kanzen Master + Bunpro to make the whole process quite fun.

Hope this wall of text is helpful…

3 Likes

I’m around 75% added, the grammar I need to use for spoken purposes is becoming less and less so it feels harder. I also stalled lessons for a long break for the same reasons. I’m just starting to add more lessons now but I still get them mixed up quite a bit.

I use a separate recognition deck I create while I do lessons. It’s an easier leap to just recognize the meaning and focus on a single sentence or do some quick leech train w/ flashcards. If I can lock this in better, the BunPro productive review tend to go alot more smoothly. Plus the repetitive ghost reviews have created some break throughs, it’s nice when that happens…always longer than I expect though.

3 Likes

Hope you don’t mind the thoughts of a relative newbie, but here they are.

I’m only on N2, but I’ve found that I don’t get the hang of most grammar points until they’re on SRS level 6 or 7, simply because the varied contexts they’re used in make them feel like completely new things for the first few times.

I’m just wondering if maybe as far in as you are, the larger number of reviews in total make these new ones blend in a bit, to the point that it’s harder to register them properly. I know there’s an “I know this” feature for closing down the grammar points. Maybe taking out the ones you know so there aren’t so many would help?

1 Like

I had a lot of trouble in the beginning because I rushed through studying and didn’t take it slowly enough, big mistake! I had to actually make an Anki deck with all the grammar points because doing 100 hundred reviews caused nothing to stick. Now I keep my reviews empty and only study 2 new grammar points a day (smallest study setting). This allows me to let everything sink in and the SRS do its magic :slight_smile:

2 Likes