Coming back to Bunpro

Hey all I’ve been absent from bunpro since I came back from Japan.

Just wanted to catch up and say hello again, and ask for advice concerning starting over on Bunpro.

While In Japan I reach N3/N4 on Bunpro and was comfortably able to converse with my coworkers and people in the world but found vocabulary and context to be more a limiting factor than any one grammar point. But since I’ve gotten back state side I have had less cause to study and with Corona and the like found it hard to get back into it.

Ultimately I could feel my Japanese slipping and decided to rather than plow through 500+ reviews to reset and start fresh to build the habit back up. Anyone else have a similar experience? I have refallen in love with bunpro and have not given up on this project, been here since the beginning and I still believe that this is an amazing place, just as with everything it ebb and flows.

8 Likes

Hey, welcome back :slight_smile:
Totally fine to have highs and lows of motivations, so long as you’re always doing something involving Japanese. Cheers.

3 Likes

My man Yuta explains it best! Its very motivational… “doing something is better than doing nothing!”

2 Likes

I actually began learning Japanese in 2010/2011. Got conversational in it. Then I ditched it for about 8 years due to personal reasons - I didn’t have reason to learn any more. God, I wish I’d kept up with it, rather than having to start afresh with just about the basics… So, I really feel you on that, haha. I also recently reset my WK level in order to get back into kanji studying on a regular basis, because a few months ago I’d slipped out of the habit and sabotaged myself…

I’m glad you managed to get some drive to come back to studying!

3 Likes

Yeah I have spoken Japanese nearly everyday with my GF but its hard to get that naturalistic Japanese and we have kinda developed a english/japanese pidgin between the two of us :smile:

I appreciate Yuta’s advice, he was one of my original inspirations to study Japanese. Just doing it is the simplest advice but it is true lol.

Oh wow I started about 6 years ago and it has come and gone in intensity. Kanji is a whole nother can of worms, I’m glad that you are back into it and I wish you good luck!

Thank all of you for your thoughts!

2 Likes

Hi, I reset my account a couple of times… I started learning Japanese in January 2012… After a 2 year break, in January 2018 I started again and added everything I “knew” on Bunpro…

For some reason, I was not having fun learning Japanese and around mid/late 2018 I thought it would be fun to “start over”. To re-think my learning methods and really try to figure how to do something (even if its 1 minute) everyday.

For grammar, I though it would be cool to use Japanese to explain the grammar point. My inspiration were some JLPT drill books that have really simple explanations for a grammar point. So now I use Bunpro for SRS while books + websites for writing my own grammar notes.

It was hard initially and it felt like defeat to start from N5 but it was worth it!

1 Like

Are there any new fun goals that you can use to get a new cause to work towards? Reading a book that is above you current level, or just enjoying some Japanese media that was previously too hard. I find that I often get my motivation back up after finding something new and exciting that is just out of reach :blush:

2 Likes