Compiling "Strange" Japanese from Immersion - Decoding Japanese Way of Thinking

So I’ve felt for a while that there is some fundamental way of thinking in Japanese that ends up affecting how they express things. Because I’m not accustomed to (nor aware of) what that might be, several sentences come off really weird to my brain. Some of these I’ve learned to get used to, but I’ll go ahead and post a compiled list of sentences I find weird, and why.

I’ll try to draw on common threads, but if you notice anything else, let’s discuss! The translations are not the question, it’s a matter of what underlying thought process leads one to express things in one way vs. another. So I’ll just put in a reasonable translation for each sentence (literal / natural). What would also be great is if we could add more example sentences for each “strange” phenomenon I list here.

In these examples, I explore the fact that Japanese conditionals often end in “it is __” instead of using a verb.

1. 君と議論しても時間の無駄だ (Even if I discuss it with you, it’s a waste of time / It’d be a waste of time to discuss it with you.)
    Comes off strange to say “if… it is X.” This happens a lot.

2. 何もせずに負けたら 好感度はカメムシ以下 (If I lost without doing anything, my likability is below an insect / If I lose without doing anything, my likability would drop to below that of an insect)
    Notice that there is not even a verb to describe the likability dropping. And again, we have the “if…, then it IS” pattern, which I find strange. I’ll give one more example.

3. もし照橋さんと鉢合わせたら 大騒ぎだな (If I were to bump into Teruhashi-San, it’s an uproar / There’d be an uproar if I bumped into Teruhashi.)
    Again, the “if …, then it IS __” rather than using something like “would be.” Really strange, but I’m getting used to it.

Unlike the general trend to simply describe the state of a noun (see How to Learn from my Mistakes), here, I was corrected because I said Nであれば as opposed to Nしていれば:

1. 「存在する人の行動が終了であれば、ただの過去形を使ってもいいですか」-> 存在する人の行動が終了していれば、ただの過去形を使ってもいいですか
    Here, it’s weird to me that I can’t say 終了であれば. I asked about this later, and it seems that when using the conditional form, if the noun can take する, then you should use する in the conditional form.

This example shows a strange verb omission (from DeathNote):

1. 日本の刑務所にいた人間が、一時間後にフランスなんて、 物理的に不可能だ (/ It’s physically impossible for Japanese prisoners to be in France just one hour later.)
    To me it’s strange that he just says “フランスなんて” instead of “フランスに現れる” or just “フランスにいる” or something like that.

Using ない and ある on their own to refer to norms and expectations.

1. 空いた食器を下げるとか あるだろ (Lowering empty dishes, exists y’know / Y’know, there’s that norm that you should lower empty dishes)
    Here, the word “norm” or an equivalent is never used. It just says that such a thing exists. (So it makes me wonder if they just imagine a floating set of norms that you can point to as existing at any time.)

2. ちょっと 聞いといて その言い方はないでしょ (Listen up, that way of talking, doesn’t exist right? / Listen up, you know that’s no way to talk, right?)
    It’s weird that they say “言い方がない” to say that this is not an established norm/way of talking that conforms to societal standards that exist.

This is just a random example where I have no idea why ある is used instead of いる. I’ve checked multiple times to make sure.

1. 私は今、キラ事件の捜査本部の指揮を取る立場にある (Right now I’m in the position to take charge of the headquarters for investigating the Kira case.)
    Why not その立場にいる rather than ある?

Making hella weird commands:

1. 嘘つけ (Go tell a lie / Lie more, why don’t ya?)
    This is what someone said after they disbelieved what they just heard the other person say.

2. This one’s a dialogue (to give the context):
    海藤:な… 風邪くらい 誰でもひくだろ! (Kaidou: everyone catches at least a cold or something!)
    斉木:まあ あいにくだが、僕は風邪をひいたことがない。超能力者だからな。 (Saiki (to himself): Well, actually, I’m a psychic, so I’ve never caught a cold.)
    燃堂:オレ ひいたことね~けど。(Nendou: Well, I’ve never caught one…)
    灰呂:そういえば、僕もひいた記憶がないな。(Hairo: Yeah, that reminds me, I too have no recollection of catching one.)
    斉木:お前らは ひけよ (Saiki (to himself): Y’all, catch one.)

Really strange that Saiki just says “go catch one.” Then I asked about this, and a native Japanese speaker explained it like this:
11) 燃堂と灰呂は超能力者じゃないのだから、風邪をひくべき (風邪をひくような体であるべき) (It’s that Nendou and Hairo aren’t psychics, so they should catch a cold, i.e.: their bodies should be of the type that catches a cold.)
The strange here is that he is using べき, which means “should” in the sense of what someone should do (rather than meaning “should” in the sense of a guess like “it should be the case that…”). This led me to create a different dialogue, which I was told was natural:

1. A: もしもし (Hello)
    B: あっ、忙しい?運転中みたいんだ。 (Ah, are you busy? You seem like you’re driving.)
    A: えぇ。気分転換ドライブだけだ。 (Yeah, just driving for a change of pace.)
    B: えっ!運転しながら電話するのは交通違反でしょ。(Huh!? You know it’s illegal to talk on the phone while driving.)
    A: 大丈夫だよ。全然警察に気づかれないから。(It’s fine tho. The police won’t notice a thing.)
    B: バカ、このままじゃ他人を危険にさらすよ。 罰金を取られろよ。(At this rate, you’ll endanger others, dumbass. Get the fine.)
    At the end, the command to get the fine was really weird to me, but it’s natural in this context.

There are certainly many more examples I could come up with. Feel free to add your own categories and examples of “strangeness” and let’s decode the Japanese way of thinking together!

6 Likes

I looked up the origin of 嘘つけ and this is came out 一説には、誰にでもバレる ウソ をついた人に対して「 ウソ をつくならつきなさい。 お見通しですよ」と非難していたのが、短くなって「ウソつきなさい」、「 ウソつけ」となったとされています

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get too tied to some of these English translations. There are lot of ways to say the same thing; it’s more art than science IMO. This sounds like “It would be a big deal if I were to run into Teruhashi”.

This didn‘t sound weird to me, the existence is based on the investigation position (not the person).

That is just known phrase for ‘Liar’! Wouldn’t think any more than that, very useful :smile:

There is more nuance than just ‘should’, べき can be ‘probably’ or ‘likely’. I think you can guess the nuance based on the context (unless they are diabolical :smiling_imp:)

This one is interesting, it’s a volitional passive form. I think it means “You’ll get a fine/trouble no matter what” based on this stackexchange entry, and kind of makes sense to context

2 Likes

日本の刑務所にいた人間が、一時間後にフランスなんて、 物理的に不可能だ I think in this case it may just be that なんて expresses more emotion than いる or something more plain.

2 Likes

Pulling from your other post. When I see this kind of “broken” sentence, I remember what a Japanese friend told me: In Japanese, you say the most important thing first. Now, I don’t think that’s totally true, but it makes some sense when you’re talking. A proper sentence would be 病院の脳外科に行けよ, but when you’re talking, especially when giving an order like this, you say 病院行けよ first (the most important thing) and then clarify the dept afterwards.

As far as why it ends in だ, I think the only way I’ve seen に end a sentence is like with 成功しますように. Ending with に feels like the thought is incomplete. Ending with だ puts a nail in it.
https://app.memrise.com/course/997514/intermediate-japanese-grammar-1-jlpt-n3/18/

1 Like

I think I first heard it in Kill Bill :crossed_swords:

2 Likes

I didn’t translate these sentences until I made the thread xD. But the fact still stands that Japanese has this tendency to say “if …, then it is ___” rather than using “would be” or some verb.

I still don’t see how ある is not referring to 私, but maybe if I come across other examples like this, I can update the thread.

Yeah! That’s a good way to think about that particular phrase. Also @EbonyMidget gave a nice explanation, which basically amounts to saying “I can see right through you, so if you’re gonna lie so obviously, why don’t you just go ahead and lie?”, or something like that. But I’m bringing attention to the point that this type of acerbic command is common, and that expression is not an isolated incident.

Also, on べき, I guessed the same thing as you about commands sometimes being “should” in the sense of “likely,” but I was told that it’s definitely being used as a command. Same goes for べき, I don’t think it’s ever used in the sense of “likely,” it’s just that in Japanese, there seem to be cases where commands can be used in “strange” situations. Here’s the full thread if you want to read more: https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/17753434
(Initially, he agreed that it’s not a literal order and I featured the answer, but later he thought some more about it and we had an extended discussion)

As for the volitional passive, I think you’re looking for this (new) grammar point: https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/744

Totally agree that ending with に would make it sound weaker. It’s probably the case that when you break up sentences like that, you never add に. (I may be wrong about this.)
EDIT: I should be more specific. When composing both fragments leads to a complete sentence, then in the broken up version, it may be that you don’t end with に. I need this clarification because there are plenty of other examples where things end with に but the rest is not stated.

As for the ますように point, here it is on Bunpro in case anyone is looking: https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/638

It’s just omitting “願っています.” Since this part is omitted, they make it polite by using the ます form before ように so that they can communicate the politeness, so that’s how you can tell when they are using this point.

1 Like

何もせずに負けたら 好感度はカメムシ以下 Some of this is just the degree to which japanese allows omission but even in english a sentence like “If I lose, I’ll be less than worthless” sounds normal and doesn’t require anything like “become” or “would be”.

2 Likes

That’s true! But still, in the English example, we don’t end with the present tense of “to be.” It would be strange if we said it like this (which would probably be acceptable in Japanese): “If I lose, I am less than worthless.”

Or taking the previous sentence I just wrote:
“It is strange if we said it like this…”

In English, we tend to state the conclusion of a conditional in terms of how something would seem (in future points that occur after the conditional part of the sentence occurs.) So in English, if we imagine a timeline, there is the time the conditional is executed, and then the result at later points from that action. In Japanese, it seems that we state the result in terms of how things would have turned out right now.

My bad, I wasn’t clear there, I meant to put なんて after いる and 現れる.

So to me it’s strange that it doesn’t say something like:
日本の刑務所にいた人間が、一時間後にフランスに現れるなんて、 物理的に不可能だ

Maybe “If I lose I’m finished” would be a better equivalent then.

1 Like

負けたら、終わりだ… seems natural. I found this sentence: この封筒を取ったら 我々は終わりだ.

I think that’s as close as English can get to Japanese, but it’s still quite different from saying “if I lose, it is the end.”

You can only get so close, some of it just has to be accepted. Another thing that might be worth considering is whether a sentence like 日本の刑務所にいた人間が、一時間後にフランスに現れるなんて、 物理的に不可能だ Is meant to be a perfect written statement or if it’s spoken. Because “The prisoners were in japan an hour ago but… france really?.. That’s not possible” isn’t a text book sentence but people think as they speak.

2 Likes

Hmmm, that’s a good point. Just for context, Light had written physically impossible events on the DeathNote to see if it would happen. Then when it doesn’t, he explains to Ryuk that it’s just as he expected, for it would be impossible for them to be in France in just one hour after last being in a Japanese prison.

So perhaps it’s not a proper Japanese sentence after all if you just say フランスなんて, but I have the impression that I’ve seen this sort of omission all the time.

Guess I don’t think about it much, I hear the conditional in ‘would be’ and you can have the ‘if’ implied or not towards the end; just a translation choice. Japanese conditionals are bit easier to absorb since it’s standard formula for these, double negatives on the other hand…ugh

Suppose the translations was: “As for me, right now, a position to take charge of the headquarters for investigating the Kira case exists (and I will take it)” I think there is alot of ‘fill in the blank’ when the situation is obvious in Japanese which is pretty frustrating as a learner. In English, I think we tend to overstate the topic and if the topic is not grasped early in Japanese conversation, it can get lost (at least that is my experience) but I think there is some concise elegance from a language perspective. Perhaps an extension of 空気を読む or just general indirectness associated both culturally and language wise which is definitely embedded in.

‘likely/probably’ is a nuance of べき.

I don’t really understand the response you have, since it’s not a command as you stated “their bodies should be of the type of that catches colds” but then said it was definitely a ‘command’ of ‘ought to’…I don’t know what’s going on. Your native friend even said the same: " he’s not commanding them to catch a cold, but rather speculating that they are susceptible to catching one?
Yes. This is what I wanted to say".

You don’t have to force the “should” for べき in every translation when it’s not the smoothest translation choice, which I think was the case in the response there after in the link you shared (I would not keep ‘should’)

Unfortunately, no passive examples and even the SE link didn’t really fully explain. But it definitely sounds like passive-volitional given the situation and makes sense.

I’m lucky to have a background in Portuguese, where double negatives are often used haha. Different struggles ig.

The problem I’m having with the ある sentence is the particle に. So it’s saying 何かがその立場にある, but if you go to figure out what that 何か is, I can’t see what it could be other than 私. IDK, I’m not seeing it.

He said that initially, but then regretted it. Even if べき has this other nuance (my dictionary doesn’t list it, but Jisho’s does), it doesn’t seem like he meant to employ it there.

I’ll look into this more later, especially the 立場にある sentence

1 Like

If I understand it correctly it originated from guessing verb べし, but it not really use that way nowadays. Or rather only in situation like “Where is my mobile?” “It should be on the table”. I may completely misread it though. (it is way above my level…)

1 Like

Hmm… it is even possible to add word like “should” to the language that would not come with “probably” built in it?

Let’s say it is school time and Mary is a student. We know students should be at school at that time. So asked where is Mary we can say “She is probably at school” or “She should be at school” meaning the same thing. So there is nothing uncommon that べき would carry the same nuance. How could it not?

It is even looking like it evolved from different direction: It was guess first than remark about somebody duty later.

1 Like

Yup, you are right! The first definition is saying something like “states that something is the natural way things go, or that things are bound to turn out a certain way.” The second one is in terms of obligation/duty/suggestion.

I stand corrected. So then this raises an interesting question: when Saiki makes his comment, is he using the command in a way closer to the conjectural should or to the “duty” should?

In fact, it raises the question of whether commands in general have a more conjectural form. I think so, and I even brought up Xにせよ, which roughly means “granted that X,” though I understand it as “should you grant X, …,” and that makes it clear that commands can also have this conjectural form of “should” as well… Because thinking about it, his description using べき only makes sense with the first definition, and he was explaining what the command was, so the command is being interpreted in that way, rather than as a literal command…

1 Like