Confused when to use a double consonant

I’ve looked a bit but is unable to find something helpful so apologizes if this was easy to find for you elsewhere.

The biggest mistakes I’ve been making is when to use a double consonant such as って and て, as well as した and しった

I haven’t been able to find every example but I noted a couple.
あの先生はこの問題をおしえてあげた and I put おしえってあげた

結婚したことがありますか and I put しったことがありますか

いってはいけない 。
This one I thought to put いけない but that’s my fault but I still don’t follow the logic to use って when it uses く

I know it’s happened for not just し but I haven’t come across it recently.
Is there a logic to follow/rule of thumb? Such as use わ to conjugate い.

I’ve been trying to locate a pattern but to me if feels inconsistent or I’m not just very observant.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi, just a side note, I think you meant double consonant, not a constant.

Be sure to review your conjugations: https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/41

Verbs ending in sounds that rhyme with える and いる can be a bit tricky. They are usually ichidan verbs, like 教える, which conjugates to 教えた. But there are some exceptions, like 帰る, which conjugates to 帰った. You just have to memorize those. But other than those cases, the conjugations are almost entirely uniform.

4 Likes

Thanks. Type too fast so I can get careless.

Thanks for showing me that chart. I have a pretty high streak on it so I’m unsure what is throwing me off. Maybe I’m not breaking them down mentally but I’ll keep that in mind and keep better track of my mistakes. But that looks about what I was looking for.

1 Like

Damn, I had an answer typed up, but then the site went down and then somebody beat me to it :smiley:

3 Likes

Yea, the irregular verbs were throwing off my rhythm. This chart is proving to really help me with that. Thanks for the help everyone.

3 Likes