Context or wording?

また海外かいがい行いくの?

Is there any way to tell from the way this is written whether it means “Will you go abroad again?” or “You’re going abroad again?”, or would it be down to context and/or tone of voice?

I would read “You’re going abroad again?” from this. It’s quite blunt, which with the の at the end makes it sound a little accusatory.

4 Likes

I think you’re asking whether the speaker is asking like “[I’m not sure so could you tell me] are you going abroad again?”, or “[is it true?] are you going abroad again?”

I’d say they’re pretty similar, but not knowing any other context, I’d say the の leans towards the “is it true?” feeling because it contains the feeling of “I want an explanation”. Without the の, it’s more of a factual question.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise the nuance that の gives. I was actually wondering whether it could just be a general wondering, as if the listener has enjoyed an overseas trip and the speaker wonders whether they would go travelling again.
Thanks for your responses!

1 Like

That also works. The speaker can be using の without accusation and just “I’m really curious”.

2 Likes

I tend to avoid の as a question unless I have some prior information that leads me to believe that it is true.

また海外旅行行くの? (Are you going overseas again… Because I have heard something, or you have done something that leads me to beleive this)

If it’s just a completely general question that I have no information about, i’d go with たい
また海外旅行行きたい? Then depending on their answer I’d ask where they plan to go etc.

の nominalizes something, so if you ask this as a question, the person will feel like you’re asking about something that is already concrete, not hypothetical.

For example you might get an answer like this
また海外旅行行くの?
えっ?そのつもりはないんだけど…(誰かからそう聞いたの?)

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot :slight_smile: