Daily Stroke Order Practice

2024年1月16日「火」

漢字:顔
Kun: かお
On: ガン
Jisho Page and WaniKani Page

メモ:I really gotta start bringing my white-out with me more often.
At 18 strokes, this is the highest stroke-count Kanji I’ve done in a while. While it seems like it would be tough, I actually had a good time writing this one out. The way the character is structured leaves a lot of room for error, and isn’t as unforgiving as symbols like 警 or 鼻 that I’ve done in the past.

6 Likes

2024年1月17日「水」

漢字:頭
Kun: あたま、かしら、かぶり
On: トウ、ズ、ト

メモ:Quite similar to 顔、today’s character was easy to write out. Both contain the radical 頁 so the biggest difficulty between the two is remembering which is which.
I also decided to go back and write out every Kanji that I’ve done so far on this thread based only on one of the meanings of each Kanji. Below is a picture of that for anyone interested.

Self-Quiz

87%, or 47/54 Kanji correct, with only 2 completely forgotten at the time of writing. While I did do a little bit of a review by making the list of all the meanings, I think this is pretty good. If I can keep this percentage of Kanji remembered with everything I learn, I imagine I’ll be doing pretty well later down the line.

5 Likes

2024年1月18日「木」

漢字:耳
Kun: みみ
On: ジ

2024年1月19日「金」

漢字:目
Kun: め、ま
On: モク、ボク

メモ:Another daily double because I was busy yesterday!
To be honest, I didn’t actually know the proper stroke order for 耳 before going over it for one of these lessons. I’m glad I finally learned it, as the “correct” order is a lot easier than the way I was previously doing it.
I also chose 目 because it’s simple, and It’s all focused on the 顔 and 頭 for now.
Since I’ve previously done 鼻、I will be skipping it this time around.

5 Likes

2024年1月20日「土」

漢字:脳
Kun: N/A
On: ノウ、ドウ

メモ:By hand trembles… writing this Kanji!
Because I’m not entirely sure I trust the 「のうずる」reading from Jisho, we’re going with WaniKani’s readings for a bit and putting “N/A” for the Kun’yomi.
I think I did a pretty good job on Today’s Character, but it does remind me a lot of 胸… Maybe whoever first penned 脳 had 胸 on the mind?

4 Likes

Nice, as always!

I like this kanji, particularly the word 洗脳 that derives from it. 私に取って、I associate it with (worry), also with ノウ as onyomi, the right hand side being the phonetic component of both kanjis.

You are right about Jisho, it’s kind of funny them listing のうずる for the kunyomi and then not showing any Kun reading compound. Then, if you click on のうずる, you see that the kanji is either pronounced のう or なずき, this last one marked as Archaic.

Finally, もう一度私に取って、I associate with (pottery, トウ), though they just really share the wrapping enclosure radical ( 勹). 脳ということは奇妙なやり方で働いているね。

良い週末を

EDIT: I’ve just finished doing my daily kanji review, this one showed up: . It looks deceivingly simple but…

4 Likes

2024年1月21日「日」

漢字:舌
訓読み:した
音読み:ゼツ

メモ:Today’s Kanji is also a relatively common radical seen in other characters. I was a little worried I would have problems getting the ratios correct, but I feel like I did a good job writing them out.

I’ll have to take a look at it once I’m done with my current Body-Oriented stint!

4 Likes

2024年1月22日「月」

漢字:頬、頰
訓読み:ほお、ほほ
音読み:キョウ
Jisho Page (頬) and Jisho Page (頰)

メモ:Today is a bit of a double feature as I’m not sure what to do with these two. It seems that both are able to be used interchangeably, with 頬 being the more common option.
Either way, both are quite similar in writing and have the same readings, so why spend two days when I can do them both in one?

3 Likes

2024年1月23日「火」

漢字:歯
訓読み:よわい、は
音読み:シ

メモ:Make sure you take care of these!
Part of the reason I love WaniKani so much is how helpful it is in learning different radicals for building Kanji characters. When I see characters like this one, knowing every individual part of the Kanji helps me remember it better, and makes it easier for me to write out too.

4 Likes

2024年1月24日「水」

漢字:髪
訓読み:かみ
音読み:ハツ

メモ:Another thing to take care of, especially if you’re a guy! You can’t reverse baldness, but you can prevent it!
This was a tougher one, but the lessons I’ve learned from 警 and 誓 made it a lot easier to balance this Kanji out. I think I did a pretty good job, pretty soon I’ll be moving further down the body!

5 Likes

2024年1月25日「木」

漢字:喉
訓読み:のど
音読み:コウ

2024年1月26日「金」

漢字:首
訓読み:くび
音読み:シュ

メモ:Double feature, with two related Kanji.
The pen I was using to write these out seems to be a little generous with its ink, so some of these look a little splotchy. I’ll be back to my normal pen with tomorrow’s entry, so hopefully it won’t be a recurring problem.

4 Likes

2024年1月27日「土」

漢字:肩
訓読み:かた
音読み:ケン

2024年1月28日「日」

漢字:腕
訓読み:うで
音読み:ワン

メモ:I didn’t even realize I hadn’t posted yesterday’s character until I went to do today’s.
肩 was a relatively simple task, but for 腕、getting the balance right took a lot of thought. The amount of space you have for both the タ and 卩 depends on how thick you draw the 月、meaning if you accidentally draw it too thick, you really have to squeeze the rest of the radicals in, throwing off the balance. Fun challenge!

3 Likes

The body is building up!

In my practice today, these four kanjis showed up: 尊, 齢, 使 and 仰.

This brought to my mind, the commanding-tooth-that-ages. I put it here for your consideration.

良い日曜を

3 Likes

2024年1月29日「月」

漢字:手
訓読み:て、て-、た-
音読み:シュ、ズ

メモ:This kanji and a kanji I wrote out a few days ago, 首、together make 手首、or wrist, and now we have 手、for the hand.
Next up I’ll be going over all of the fingers and their related kanji.

I think that once I’m done with all of the fingers, I’ll try this and the other Kanji you recommended. It might be good to give myself a break to take in all the body-related information and branch out a bit, so thank you for this suggestion!

3 Likes

2024年1月30日「火」

漢字:指
訓読み:ゆび、さ.す、-さ.し
音読み:シ

メモ:Starting on the fingers! Not much to say about this one, simple and sweet.

3 Likes

2024年1月31日「水」

漢字:親
訓読み:おや、した.しい、した.しむ
音読み:シン

メモ:With 指 and 親、you get 親指、or the “Parent Finger” (thumb)!
For those who don’t know, the fingers are also important for family members in JSL, or Japanese Sign Language! “Father” is actually signed with an index finger to the cheek, and then comes out to a raised thumb away from the face. Mother, on the other hand, is connected to the pinky finger. If anyone knows why only one parent is signed with the “Parent Finger”, I’d love to know!

4 Likes

Hi!

I really don’t know about this, I can only guess.

I just dropped by to bring to your attention this kanji, , which came out in my kanji practice today. It is one half of 処理 , a word quite useful. The thing is that it took me some tries to make a decent version, and still… Another deceivingly simple-looking one.

1 Like

2024年2月1日「木」

漢字:人
訓読み:ひと
音読み:ジン、ニン

メモ:One of the kanji associated with the Japanese word for “Index Finger”, and one of the first kanji people tend to learn in their journey. Simple, but essential!

That does seem like an important word to know. It seems like diagonal, curved lines are always the most difficult to write out. I’ll make sure to give it a try here soon, thank you for the suggestion!

3 Likes

2024年2月2日「金」

漢字:差
訓読み:さ.す、さ.し
音読み:サ

2024年2月3日「土」
漢字:中
訓読み:なか、うち、あた.る
音読み:チュウ

メモ:With this, we have now 「人差し指」、or “Index Finger”, and 「中指」、for “Middle Finger”. Just a few more finger related Kanji to go for the whole set!

3 Likes

2024年2月4日「日」

漢字:薬
訓読み:くすり
音読み:ヤク

メモ:Today we have 「薬」of 「薬指」、meaning “Ring Finger”. At 16 strokes, it might seem difficult, but 7 of them equate to small dots on the character, so it’s very manageable. I also feel that 楽 and 薬 are very recognizable kanji, to the point that is it hard to mistake them for anything else.

4 Likes

2024年2月5日「月」

漢字:小
訓読み:ちい.さい、こ-、お-、さ-
音読み:ショウ

2024年2月6日「火」

漢字:先
訓読み:さき、ま.ず
音読み:セン

メモ:I was too busy to post yesterdays, so I’ll combine them both into a single post here.

With 小、we now have the whole family, 親指、人差し指、中指、薬指、小指!

With 先、we also now have 指先、or “Fingertip”, part of every finger.

Soon I’ll be taking a body-related Kanji break to focus on some other Kanji, as well as suggestions I’ve received in the meantime. Feel free to add more suggestions below.

6 Likes