Demystifying よる

And I have just chosen to not watch a Japanese infomercial — that’s some hardcore dedication to studying there Asherさん。 ^,^

3 Likes

I was thinking about this exact thing the other day, Jp youtubers have an unusual percentage of subtitling their videos. As someone who has worked in transcription as an undergrad, it’s a freaking PIA, and my guess is that Japanese subtitles could easily take twice or three times as long as other languages with the kanji conversion/selection. I was thinking that all this hard work (and money) has to serve a purpose after all.

4 Likes

Yeah, with how fast they talk, and how much slang they use (for youtubers), lots of the content would not be understandable 100% without them, and the last thing you wanna do as a youtuber is alienate your audience.

Naturally the people with 100% the same interests, and enough context to know what the conversation is about will know what they are talking about 100%. However; a youtubers goals is to appeal to everyone, not just die hard fans.

4 Likes

This is the reason I’m able to watch stuff like variety shows with ease! Though I do have to start forcing myself not to use the subs as a crutch, haha. When I watch English content I really do miss the dedication to subs though.

3 Likes