Dictionary form and the illusion of being progressive

Hi all!

Today I thought that I would take the opportunity to discuss something that really stumped me when I first started reading books seriously in Japanese, and how to interpret it.

When learning the dictionary form of verbs (食べ-る-) ‘to eat’, we usually learn that they can have a few different nuances. Basically, they can indicate something that is happening in the present ‘eats’ or the future ‘will eat’, or the act itself ‘to eat’. However, they usually rely on surrounding context to make the exact time clear.

One form that I started to come across in many novels that I never really got a strong understanding of from textbooks is the form that often feels like it should be either progressive or past. This is the form that would usually be translated as ‘eats’, it explains what is happening at present, without needing to be progressive.

As an example, here is an excerpt from the Japanese version of Star Wars - The Phantom Menace (sorry for haters of the prequel trilogy).

次の瞬間、煌めくライトセーバーを手にした二人のジェダイが飛べ出してきた。クワイガンのライトセーバーがドロイド二体を斬りつけると、火花と金属の部品があたりに飛び散る。オビワンのライトセーバーがブラスターを弾き、光弾はいくつかに割れて飛んでいく。つづいてオビワンがさっと片手をあげて手のひらを広げると、別のドロイドが壁に叩きつけられる。

‘In the next moment, the two Jedi who had taken their glowing lightsabers in hand bounded out. As Qui-Gon’s lightsaber slashed two of the droids, metal parts and sparks scattered in the vicinity. Obi-Wan’s lightsaber rebounded the blasters, and the laser blasts split into several parts and flew off. Next, as Obi-Wan quickly raised one hand and spread out his palm, other droids were thrown against the wall.’

In English. This would be a complete natural way to translate this, but what we actually see in the Japanese is extensive use of the dictionary form instead of the past or progressive forms. In English we would want to say -

飛び散る ‘scattered’
飛んでいく ‘flew off’
叩きつけられる ‘thrown against the wall’

However, none of these actually are past. So, how do we translate it? The simple answer is, the ‘s’ form in English that indicates either a habit or a generalization. Let’s retranslate the Japanese in this manner.

‘In the next moment, the two Jedi who had taken their glowing lightsabers in hand bounded out. Qui-Gon’s lightsaber -slashes- two of the droids, as metal parts and sparks -scatter- in the vicinity. Obi-Wan’s lightsaber -reflects- the blasters, and the laser blasts split into several parts and -fly off-. Next, as Obi-Wan quickly -raises- one hand and -spreads- out his palm, other droids -are- thrown against the wall.’

The big difference here is that when reading something in English, we are usually told explicitly whether something is happening in the past, present, or future. In Japanese though, there appears to be a preference for a style of storytelling that is very similar to what one would expect in a more suspenseful thriller, or in a story that is being spoken out loud and the speaker is trying to keep the reader/listener locked firmly in the current moment until information on tense is actually needed. We can imagine a group sitting around a campfire and the storyteller says ‘Qui-Gon slashes two of the droids (makes lightsaber slashing motion), as metal parts and sparks scatter in the vicinity (spreads out arms and waves fingers in the air to indicate sparks raining down)’.

Annnnyway. Don’t even know if other people struggle or struggled with this use of the dictionary form when they started reading books, but I found that this way of translating worked well for me a long time ago when trying to figure out how Japanese speakers prefer to indicate the passing of time.

Hope you’re all having a great day! Would love to know any other weird uses of Japanese grammar that any of you were stumped with at any point in the past and how you eventually figured out what was actually happening! :blush:

21 Likes

Wow!! I’ve recently started reading novels in Japanese and wondered about exactly this! To be honest, because I was happy enough that I could understand what was trying to be said I didn’t pause to give it too much thought and just accepted it was the way of writing novels in Japanese, but it`s really nice to have a proper explanation. I’m forward to picking up my book later and seeing if I can understand why they’ve used the dictionary form in certain situtations now, haha. Thank you!

3 Likes

There is a discussion of this topic in the front-section of A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar. The position of the authors is that in such cases the past tense is always available to the writer, naturally, but the choice of non-past forms whilst recounting past events is to distinguish the actions of the main actor/topic from the surrounding circumstances. Meaning: the non-past verb forms are used for descriptions of environments, circumstantial events, states of being in contrast to deliberate actions, etc.

In my own meagre experience this analysis seems true enough. It also is a good reason for why this mix of past and non-past is pretty heavily used in stories, especially fictional or descriptive ones opposed to true accounts, compared with other forms of discourse.

I have to say that now that I am used to this kind of thing it does feel very natural when reading and I think it does add to the flow of a descriptive section of text, as supposedly intended, despite it really sticking out as weird when I first cracked open a Japanese book (not literally, it was digital).

10 Likes

The interesting thing when thinking about stuff like the following,

is that to really get to the bottom of it, you have to ask yourself what the author is trying to say in their own language, and why they chose to say it that way rather than another in the first place. The ‘surrounding circumstances’ part that you mentioned may be what I chose to describe as ‘locking the reader in the moment’. It’s the storyteller presenting each new action as its own descriptive feature of the story before finally solidifying everything at the end with something that is actually in past tense. The storyteller is dragging you along one experience at a time and leaving you to guess what comes at the end. We can do this in English too in the way I mentioned with the -s form of verbs, but it certainly isn’t as common as it is in Japanese.

I can sympathize with the feeling of it sticking out as weird after you first start reading. I remember being like ‘I should know dictionary form meanings better than pretty much anything else, but this use just feels strange’. Then after a while it just clicks and you let the author describe the event step by step rather than expecting them to tell it how it would be told in English.

6 Likes

I saw someone before saying that literary narrations in Japanese happens in present tense more often, compared to how narrations would be in English, I guess that’s what it was all about.

That’s pretty much how Table RPG Game Masters narrate their games, isn’t it? I’ve saw before both types of narration on RPG games, this present tense type certainly makes things more exciting as you are experiencing the story by yourself, instead of listening a list of things that happened in the past.

3 Likes