Difference between 見て行きませんか and 見に行きませんか?

Just a quick question. For the following example sentence: 暇だったら、一緒に映画を見に行きませんか being " If you are free, won’t you go see a movie with me?". I was thinking if that could also be said as 暇だったら、一緒に映画を見って行きませんか as from what I understand, the て form can link verbs together. I’m assuming they can be interchangeable but there are some instances where using に wouldn’t make sense in a sentence but using て would.

2 Likes

The way you used て form is for sequential actions, whereas [Verb stem]にいく is “to go do verb”. So I don’t think they are ever interchangeable and I don’t think て form makes much sense in this example. It would change the meaning to something like “If you are free, won’t you see a movie with me and then go (to some place which may or may not be clear depending on context)?”.

11 Likes

Thank you for helping me get a stronger grasp on the logic behind using the てform that way.

7 Likes

I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s 見て行く, not 見って行く. Putting the っ there just rubs me the wrong way. It makes my spidey-sense tingle.

2 Likes

It should be 見て, yes.

2 Likes