Differences in the "about 文法" and the summary hint

I’ve been really concentrating this morning on certain aspects of grammar and bunpro. One thing I notice is often tmes with the “hint” I understand much more about a grammar point than reading the summary alone. I’ll use すなわち(即ち) as an example

using this question:
" 彼かれはこの会社で最も偉い人、即ち社長だ"

The grammar explanation to me is kind of vague, maybe even too much information.

“In other words, That is, Namely”
“In a similar way to つまり, 即ち is another grammar pattern in Japanese that is often translated as ‘in other words’. It may also be translated as ‘namely’, or ‘that is to say’. While 即ち is an adverb, it is often used as a conjunction, linking two sentences via some sort of reasoning.”

Whereas the hint is concise and feels easier to digest.

" A structure showing that something is namely (A), by offering summarized information which is in concordance with what was previously stated."

I’ve kinda noticed this pattern with other grammar points too, such as では and others. What I’m getting at is maybe give us a way to see the hints that will be used for the questions as they are kind of a more summarized piece of information that can be easier to digest. Especially on the more complex pieces of grammar, this is useful.

I am not sure how the Japanese version of bunpro really handles this and makes me wonder if it would be a good idea to switch over to that? Anyway, just wanted to request to see if you could add a way to look at the potential hints for a grammar point as well when initially learning a grammar point.

2 Likes

Explanations and hints are actually not translated so the experience is pretty much the same.

2 Likes