Different types of particles

This wrong answer prompting this topic. Goo says that だけ is a noun (in addition to a particle), but I usually think of it only as a particle. I didn’t realize something could be both a noun and a particle.

Now I’m curious about the different types of particles. I found this Wikipedia article saying there are eight types of particles. For example, the group that だけ is included in (副助詞) include:
ばかり、まで、だけ、ほど、くらい、など、なり、やら

Are all of those considered nouns?

More generally, does anyone have any sources that go over the differences between the types of particles?

5 Likes

Absolutely not an expert here and this could well be a bug but my first impression is that これ is referring to a noun?

eg. “It is highly unlikely that it is just this (car)”
Though if that was the case it would still be very unclear and almost impossible to infer, so…

2 Likes

Not an expert either but fun to explore.

Are you talking about sentence talking about reference?

[補説]「だけ」は名詞「たけ(丈)」から転じたもので、近世以降になって助詞として用いられるようになった。もとの名詞「たけ」は副詞「ありったけ」などに名残をとどめている

Don’t understand 100%, but I think they are just talking about the lineage of 丈, not necessarily だけ used as a noun. I agree with @meadowdrone that これ is noun in reference. But I think you are right that some nouns are adverbial. This sparked another search talking about adverbial nouns (or noun that can modify verbs) which is an separate interesting topic. However they do talk about 副詞可能. Here is their quote which talks how nouns or noun origins have turn adverbial:

Next, 副詞的名詞 is used by jumandic too. It’s also used on the net and in papers in the context of Japanese and other languages. In ipadic this is called 副詞可能. It refers to nouns (or words originating from a noun) that can be used adverbially such as ところ, ため, ぐらい.

I’ve used this book for particle learning (a good little book IMO with example/explanations/groupings that is fairly cheap, N4ish). They listed くらい、ほど、ばかり(し)、ずつ、とも、だけ、も for quantity particles. I can’t imagine やら being used as a noun when it clearly connects nouns/adj/verb as particle.

1 Like

I don’t exactly remember what I was thinking a year ago. :joy:

But the これ explanation does make sense, and I’m satisfied with that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not exactly cheap, but this is what I use for referencing the uses of various particles. It’s fairly detailed and easy to understand (I’d give more info but I’m being gradually kicked out of work, and heading to a festival after. I’ll come back if I remember tomorrow).

1 Like