Disambiguation help: みたいに、そういう、のように

These three grammar points have be causing me quite a headache in my reviews recently, even a question as easy as this I really forces me to rack my brain for the correct answer.

I feel as though the distinction between them isn’t strong enough. If anyone has a very smart way to tell them apart you will be my new best friend!! ∠( ゚д゚)/

みたいに
そういう
のように

1 Like

ーいう only applies to nouns and usually starts a sentence. You see all the sentence with this/that/that over there/which kind have this in the beginning. If you know the very practical phrase どういう意味ですか, everything else falls into place for the KSAD forms

I think よう and みたい are more interchangeable than BP allows (I believe BP is still marking it wrong instead of asking for another meaning). Since they can be both adjective/adverbial and modify noun phrases, there is a of ton flexibility. My teacher allowed us to interchange these but agreed with with more casual tone for みたい that BP mentions. I find it more in conversational (and easier to say) while よう leans toward writing but I don’t think the rules are terribly strict for this one. Probably I forget when to add the の when speaking and I chicken out and go with the easier みたい :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh my! thank you for the prompt reply! :slight_smile:

I have added these small distinctions to my notes, so I can look it over when I next get one wrong. Hopefully I can slowly learn the differences, oh and I do feel silly for asking but what is KSAD an abbreviation for?

Edit: Just realised KSAD = こ、そ、あ、ど, well now I really do feel silly >_<

2 Likes

I’m struggling with these too. Every time I get a question that can fit that now I feel like I close my eyes and randomly point and one of them and hope I picked the correct one. (Although only みたい and よう, although I feel like there might be another one? Or it is just the different versions of みたい I suppose…)

3 Likes