スター・ウォーズ discussion (Advanced) April 2024

なるほど。実は明日の朝「日本の今日の夜」日本人の友達と言語交流のレッスンがあるから、この表現のことを聞く。彼女は英語上手だから。更にHiNativeでも聞く。後で答えを教えてあげる。

本当?この言葉がそんなに珍しいなんて知らなかった。面白い。

1 Like

文法の「まみれ」ならまぁよく見る形だけど、本当に動詞として使われたのは初めてだった。 :sweat_smile:

名案だ。はるなは聞いたことなかったって。

Assuming there is not some other word here which I don’t know about (different kanji or something) then I have seen that word a few times, I think. I searched my anki deck and found I had mined this sentence: 夜の深い闇の中で、真っ黒な不吉な血にまみれていた その両手を。I think it is from 海辺のカフカ, near the start, but can’t actually remember where I mined it from. Definitely a novel though.

(I am behind on the reading and therefore this thread so once I have caught up I will have a proper look at this thread as it looks like you’re having an interesting discussion!)

2 Likes

Wow! Sounds intense :scream::blush:.

2 Likes

I guess I’m just not reading enough books where people get covered in liquids/liquid like things :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

今まで上のリンクに日本人から2つの答えがある。1つ目は僕と同じ直接翻訳で2つ目は違う意味がある「有名な最期こと」。更に日本人の友達に聞いたら、ないかもって言った。なぜなら英語では皮肉のフレーズがよくあるけど、日本語ではそんなフレーズがあまりないからだと思う。たぶんそれが理由だ。

兎に角、スター・ウォーズの話しに戻ろう!

1 Like

Something that is somewhat similar to the idea of famous last words is “死亡フラグ”, which you even sometimes see meta jokes about when the people in the story realise a character is speaking like they’re going to get killed in the next battle or whatever.

1 Like

You may already know this, but (just in case) the point is that there appears to be no equivalent frase in Japanese that conveys the same meaning as the English saying. When we say “Famous Last Words”, we don’t mean it in the literal sense. It is said sarcastically.

“Idiom informal: Said when someone makes a statement that is shown very soon, and in an embarrassing way, to be wrong.”

In the case of the Star Wars quote, General Tarkin expressed confidence that the rebels would NEVER find a weakness to their ultimate weapon, the Death Star. Anyone who’s watched the movie knows what happened, thus the “Famous Last Words” saying. But those weren’t his literal last words, which is what all of those Japanese sayings are expressing.

1 Like

This is why I said somewhat similar. It would also be possible if he doesn’t die but just loses to say something like “フラグが立った” or “負けフラグ”. They may not be perfectly identical to “famous last words” but they do both express a sense of dramatic irony.

2 Likes

Had you said this from the start:

I would’ve agreed with you that it is similar to the situation that occurs in Star Wars Episode IV. But when I looked up 死亡フラグ, the conditions for it didn’t seem to apply here since it had more to do with foreshadowing or predicting what will happen, rather than the feeling of “Well, that definitely didn’t happen” that the phrase “Famous Last Words” has.

負けフラグ seems to have this feeling of over confidence and then things going south, which goes more in line with what happened in Star Wars.

2 Likes

よし!第3章を読み終わった。

この本を読めば読むほどまた映画が観たくなって小説と比べる。たぶん全部読んでからそうするかも。

来週第4章を読むことを楽しみにしている。

2 Likes

第4章の終わりまで後6ページだ!

やっとルークはオビワンケノービに会いそう。

EDIT: Apparently there’s a limit of 3 consecutive replies in the forum, so I’m gonna have to edit this post in order to add my next comment lol.

残縁なことに僕が思ったに反して第4章ではルークがオビワンケノービに会っていない。楽しみにしていたのに。でもきっと第5章に於けるでしょう。

ちなみに今までで一番好きな部分は何?僕にとっては第1章でダース・ベイダーの紹介方法だった。映画に比べて本はもっと乱暴なシーンがあって、ベイダーももっと怖くなった。初めは驚いたけど、カッコいいと思った。

また、会話の部分は読みやすいな。大好き!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

兎に角皆どう思う?

2 Likes

今週は仕事で忙しかったが、いよいよ第4章を読み終わった。 景色の長い説明が面白くて、新しい単語を習っていくことが大好きなんだけど、日常会話に使えるかどうか疑問する.「対流圏」っという言葉はフランス語で一度もも使わなかったと思う。日本語辞典だけでなく、母国語の辞書を使わなくちゃ!

その通り!ベイダーもタスケン・レイダーも映画より怖い。久しぶりこの本は英語の第一版を読んで、こんなに乱暴さを覚えない。

第4章が終わるともう本の三分の一を読みかけている。それはあり得ないと感じる。まだ何も起こさなかったようだ。

2 Likes

それは面白い。同じだと思ったけど。

僕もそうだと思った。たぶん残りのお話に嵌まるために、後の章は景色の記述があまりないかもね。分からないけど、すぐに私たちは見つけられると思う。

1 Like

第5章は…オビ=ワン・ケノービがついに登場する!

R2-D2を「おちびさん」と呼ぶこと、可愛いね!

映画のオビ=ワンは賢い老人のイメージがするけど、本の方が親切なおじいさんの感じだ。

2 Likes

間に合った!忙しかったけど、今週の章を読み終わることが出来た。

以上だ。:blush:

2 Likes

第6章の半分くらいを読み終わった。やっとルークはタトゥイーン惑星をもう直ぐ出るところだ。

1 Like

第6章ですか?まあ~

多分もう少しあとでね…

(先週は休みだったからもう少し遠く読み続けて、ルークたちはまだタトゥイーンにいるんだ…本の半分に超えたのに…)

3 Likes

まじで!

何かが起こると思う時、それは起こらないな :joy:。とは言っても、まだ今週の章は読み終えていないから、たぶん彼らは出る時間があるだろう。本当にこの章でルーク達がタトゥイーンを出るといいんだけど。また、この本はそんなに長くないから、残りの話に十分なスペースがあるかな。

EDIT: 本当だ!

第6章でまだルーク達はタトゥイーンにいる。

第7章の名は「宇宙への旅立ち」だから、絶対に今章でタトゥイーンを出るはずだな。でしょう?:joy:

ちなみに、作家はちょっと変な数字を使うんじゃないか。例えば「ニ〇〇〇」。たぶん宇宙の通貨について話しているからでしょう。

また、この作家の一番の好きな動詞は「見つめる」だ。いつも使っているな。

1 Like

映画を見たのは久しぶりで、タトゥイーンからの逃亡はいつ行われるかを確認したところだ。2時4分たった映画で56分に起こる。クレジットの時間を考慮すれば、本に比べてほぼ同じだ。

そう見るとびっくりした。いつもこのタトゥイーンの話は短くて、ルーク達の宇宙冒険はより長い感じがした。だから、残りのスペースは足りるだろうね。

2 Likes