スター・ウォーズ discussion (Advanced) April 2024

I’m reading along! Just so far I’ve had nothing to say of any interest. I’ll try and keep an eye out for something interesting I can comment on or if I have a question, even if I resolve it on my own, I’ll be sure to post the question and the answer here.

2 Likes

The addition of C3PO’s inner dialogue has made me curious about how sentient Star Wars robots are, which I don’t think the movies had any interest in dealing with.
One piece of language that stood out was when a sound was described as “like a dog walking on plastic”. Something felt slightly odd about using reference to things that only exist in the real world to describe in universe things. “The speeder sounded like a formula 1 car” For example, would seem immersion breaking to me.

2 Likes

Ahhhhh totally know what you mean. I am gonna edit this post when I find it, but there was one part with Luke that had a reference that really felt like it didn’t fit in the book.

Edit - Remembered it straight away. The author saying that ビッグス stood out like a Japanese poppy in a field of barley.

I think as far as the robots go, they are basically 100% sentient until they try to do something that goes against their programming.

2 Likes

Started reading Chapter 2 today and was laughing at the Japanese translation for Skywalker (空歩く人). This is probably for the Japanese people who don’t know English, so that they can understand the meaning of Luke’s last name, but it just sounds silly in Japanese. It’s not as cool as it sounds in English.

Anyway, just wanted to share that. :laughing:

EDIT: Just wanted to add that it probably sounds just as bad, if not worse, in Spanish: Lucas Caminacielos :rofl: :joy:.

6 Likes

いつの間にか第3章を読み終わった!

I changed the way I’m reading: from looking up every single word, to just reading through, even if I don’t completely understand nor truly read everything, as was recommended in one of the other Book Clubs by @Sidgr. Great advice, btw!

While it’s not as detailed, I can at least get the gist of what’s going on and read faster. It was getting a bit painful to continue reading as before, if I’m honest. Kanji knowledge also helps a TON with this method of reading. So, moving forward, I believe I can do one chapter a week, if that’s fine with everyone.

Also, I was thinking, giving that this is the Advance Book Club, that we should write mostly, if not completely, in Japanese here. What do you all think about that? It might be a bother, but then again, Japanese will never become second nature if we don’t engage in it as much as possible, no?

Anyway, it’s just an idea. Zero pressure.

2 Likes

いいイデアだけど、私の学校は一学期を始まりましたので、すごく忙しくなってしまいました。その上自分にとってスーパーカブを読み込んで、スター・ウォーズまだ始めていません。ごめん🙏

3 Likes

いいですよ!謝る必要はないです。

時間があったら是非この小説を読むことをお勧めします。特にオリジナルスター・ウォーズ物語が好きな場合は。ちょっと難しいけど、すごく楽しいと思います。

また、読み方のアイデアありがとうございます。

3 Likes

I’m all for speaking Japanese, just don’t wanna put pressure on anyone to use it that perhaps doesn’t want to/isn’t confident. Could be good though :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Of course!

Only if people feel comfortable. As I mentioned earlier, zero pressure. If anyone doesn’t want to write in Japanese, then comments in English are perfectly fine. It was simply an idea I threw out there :blush:.

3 Likes

やった!

読書を始め遅れましても、やっと追いつきました!
ブッククラブに参加してもいいですか?

これから読書予定はどうしますか?私の使っている電子書籍ソフトによって各章は字の数がほぼ同じです。

一章は1万5千字ぐらいです。それに比べて「スーパーカブ」の読書予定は週に5千字です。

ですから、週ごとに一章にしましょうか?それとも二週ごとに一章?

Yay ! Even though I started reading late, I finally caught up.

What will the reading schedule be ? According to the e-reader software I’m using, a chapter is about 15,000 character.

By comparison, the schedule for the スーパーカブ bookclub works out to 5,000 character a week.

So, shall we make it a chapter a week ? Or maybe a chapter every other week ?

3 Likes

Welcome to the group!

About one chapter a week is a good pace, but as @Jose7822 mentioned, some chapters are a bit longer, so we may split certain chapters over two weeks.

Hope you’re enjoying the book so far!

2 Likes

@Magyarapointe さん、スター・ウォーズのブッククラブへようこそ!

僕にとっては1週間で一章を読むことがいいペースだと思います。そうしましょう!:+1:

2 Likes

Jose7822さん、Asherさん、温かく歓迎してくれてありがとうございます!

3 Likes

第3章より

「髪型から体型まで全体に使い古した箒のような印象」

この描写は第失礼ですね (笑う)!

3 Likes

まだ第3章を読み始めていないけど、その文は確かに失礼ですね :laughing:

ところで、この「第失礼」は「第」が要らなくて、誤りでしょう。兎に角、明日から第3章を読みます。楽しみにしています!

2 Likes

タイプミスを頻繁にする人としては、「大」を書こうとしたけど「第」を押してしまったと高い確率で言えるだろう🧐

ちなみに一つ気づいたのは、3POが話している時はほぼいつも漢字で表示されるけど「ワタクシ」と言う時に限って今書いた通りにカタカナで表示される傾向がありそう。深い意味なんかないかもしれないけど「言葉なら理解できるけどドロイドとして『私』の本当の意味を分かることができない」と翻訳家が伝えようとしていると考えられる。

2 Likes

確かに。僕もそう思った。

そうですね。C3POが「私」と言った時、作家がカタカナで書いたのは奇妙だと思ったけど、今そう言われると理由が分かる。説明してくれてありがとう!

1 Like

そうです。タイプミスでした。今度注目深く読み直さないといけません😅

興味深い仮説ですね。最初はただ人間に対する礼儀の問題だと思いましたが、R2と話す時にも使いますから、Asherさんの説明は正解だと思います。

「黙っております、ご主人様」と言っている3POを、メイド喫茶の制服を着ている姿として想像します!

2 Likes

『「反乱軍がこの要塞の設計図を完全な形で盗み出せたとしても、弱点を特定してそこにつけ込むなど、おそらく万が一の可能性もない」 ターキンは得意げな笑みを浮かべた。』

有名な最後の言葉ですね :joy: 。少なくとも英語ではそのような言い方だけど、多分日本語では違います。そうは言っても皆理解しやすいと思います。

今まで第3章の半分を読みました。明日は残りを読もうとするけど、そうでないならば、金曜日までに第3章を読み終わるつもりです。

1 Like

調べてみたけど、出てきた表現は「臨終名言集」というものだった。一般的な言い回しかどうか知らないけど、とりあえずそのままで日本語で読んだらまあそんなイメージかな。

これは第2章の文だけど、読んだとき面白いと思った。「彼らのマントはほこりと砂にまみれていた。不健康そうな赤黄色の瞳をフードの奥から猫の目のように光らせて、獲物を検分した。彼らジャワは、低く、しゃがれた声で話した。」どこが不思議かと言われたら、まみれるという言葉を生で見たのは日本語を勉強し始めてから初めてだったことだ。 :rofl:

1 Like