も - Grammar Discussion

also・too, as well

Structure

• Noun +

View on Bunpro

Can も also be used somewhat like と for joining nouns in a string but also still adding the “as well/also” connotation? I guess my example sentence would be-- 私の目も頭も痛い。

I imagine it’s saying- “My eyes as well as my head both hurt”.

But can you use it in a fashion like you would と? Or would it be better to phrase the sentence like – 私の目と頭も痛い? But I’m imagining this is more like saying - “My eyes and head also hurt”.

To me, the first is saying you have two things that are both hurting you at that moment. The second seems like you are implying your head and eyes hurt in addition to something already implied.

Is this right, or am I reading into it too much?

ぼくもきみも、大人とよばれる年齢になった。
I came across this line from a light novel I’m trying to read. The も〜もabove means “both”, right? I couldn’t find the exact grammar point in Bunpro so I wanted to check.
“Both you and I have reached the age where we can be called adults.”

Hey @camytang ! We apologize for the late reply.

Yes, it could be translated as ‘both’, but a more direct translation is ‘also’, and the same grammar point as this grammar point. A direct translation of the sentence ぼくもきみも、大人とよばれる年齢になった。would be ‘Also you as well as me have reached the age where we can be called adults’. Since that is an unnatural way of saying it in English, translating it as, ‘Both you and I…’ is correct and would not change the nuance of the sentence.

We hope that answers your question!

1 Like

Thank you very much! I appreciate the answer!

Just started. Not sure how reviews work. My first one, I got right but doesn’t seem to be way to log that or move on to next review.???