あれ - Grammar Discussion

that, [over there]

Structure

• Demonstrative
  • Noun located away from both the speaker and the listener

[far from both speaker and listener]

View on Bunpro

1 Like

Hi, first time here so sorry if I’m asking in the wrong place! (It was here it clicked through to).
Is there somewhere I can look to help me understand the rule for when a phrase needs desu at the end? (So it’s not there on “are wa atarashii” but is on “are wa hon desu”)
I’ll find the right place to ask if anyone can please tell me slowly how to use kana in these posts - on the apps I’m using it auto converts as you type and I know the way I’ve typed it out here is painful to read!

2 Likes

First, welcome to the forums :tada:

It brought you here because it’s testing you on the あれ grammar point. I dunno what order you’re doing grammar in or what order bunpro has them in the beginning, but that です is another grammar point you can search and add to reviews :sparkles: it should be one of the very first you learn です grammar point in bunpro
Edit: if you follow bunpros recommended path, it’ll never show you grammar you haven’t learned yet

I also found this other post from the forums you might find helpful Why です

As for the kana conversion… I don’t think that’s an auto feature anywhere except those apps🙃

what my keyboard looks like

For mobile it’s as simple as going to settings and getting Jap language under keyboard. There’s one like mine, but just starting out I used the one that looks exactly the same as qwerty and it converts it as you spell.
On pc… Should also be in settings as a language pack for keyboard. Then you’ll be able to switch in the bottom right corner of dock

1 Like

Thank you so much @IcyIceBear - that’s a really helpful link.
And I’ve managed the first step of adding the keyboard to my phone, just off to find out how to use it…

2 Likes