Does (or will) Bunpro have a public API?

Hey, there! I’m sure this is unnecessary to say, but this problem seems to have been fixed now.

1 Like

@Jake Would it be possible to include upcoming grammar (including ghost reviews) with a better granulation in the Bunpro API? The response could either comprise of review items with datetimes (preferably) or (after feeding the API with the desired granulation as a parameter) number of reviews in each timeframe.

1 Like

Hey, @Jake I couldn’t seem to see any other updated threads about the API - I was wondering if any new endpoints have been added in? I was interested in having a /known_grammar endpoint to get all the grammar the user has learned/started if that’s possible. I can grab the most recent 50 items with the current endpoint which I can work with if not though. Cheers!

1 Like

Hey! Right now bringing the public API up to date is on our internal roadmap but is a ways down the road yet.

4 Likes

@Jake Just wanted to check in to again to see if the public API has made any progress up the roadmap yet. Thanks for all your hard work!

2 Likes

I am also curious about this. I created a small review stats tool(https://nihongostats.com) for BunPro and Wanikani using the APIs from the previous iOS app. But it appears those APIs have been deprecated and removed so my tool no longer works with BunPro :slightly_frowning_face:.

It would be awesome to have a public API documented.

3 Likes

Any updates regarding the API? The links I saw regarding the API have 404 error.

Any updates regarding the API?

Wanikani uses API and scripts as an excuse for not improving the core product (they don’t even have a first party mobile app in 2023). Offering a public API is a big
commitment in terms of stability (one that WaniKani broke when they decided to disable the review API a few months ago, rendering many community scripts and tools useless).

As long as Bunpro continues improving the core product and implement features that users ask for, I’m fine with it remaining a fully closed product. The script/API culture surrounding WaniKani is a mess and not something that other products should seek to emulate, IMO.

Of course my argument here is a bit of a strawman, Bunpro could keep improving the platform while also providing a stable public API, but that’s a non trivial development effort and I think it’s absolutely reasonable for the devs to make that a low priority.

That’s specifically what I don’t want to happen. If the bunpro UI is bad then it needs to be fixed, not worked around with third party tools that can break at any moment because they’re not officially supported by the platform and the maintainers do it as a hobby. WaniKani is borderline unusable for me without at least 3 different userscripts. That’s not normal.

8 Likes