Does (or will) Bunpro have a public API?

Hi, I was wondering if Bunpro has an API for consumption available like Wanikani offers.
I’m interested in being able to programmatically determine if I have reviews pending.

Thanks

5 Likes

We do not currently have a public API. If it is something users would like to have, we could probably make something that would allow you to get info about upcoming reviews and which grammar points you have studied.

10 Likes

I would definitely like to see a public API to allow for stuff like WKs timeline etc. I believe that the Bunpro UI is a bit unintuitive and I think user scripts would help alleviate that a great deal.

5 Likes

I don’t see why they couldn’t just make an API key unless they didn’t want people to make scripts or something.

1 Like

What good is an API key without an API that returns useful data? It takes a lot more effort than just saying “here’s an API key”.

7 Likes

Like @seanblue mentioned, it is a more complex than just having an API key. That being said, it is something that we would like to make available for users who want to make scripts and access their data.

6 Likes

Thank you. I think that’s fair. Also, would you consider letting us add our own grammar items to study? I’d like to study some stuff that isn’t N5-N1.

2 Likes

@Jake has the status of the request for a public API changed? It looks like now there is at least a Bunpro API key in the account section, but I haven’t found anything documenting the endpoints/usage of the API (or news announcing that it is now a real thing). I’d definitely be interested in using an API if one becomes available!

2 Likes

That’s been there from the beginning.

1 Like

Yeah! +1 please! This what I want to see most from bunpro. What impressed me the most from when I started Wanikani is that they offered an API and are open to user contribution of tooling/extensions. I really really really hope bunpro can follow suit. Especially when users are paying for the service!

1 Like

We have an api that is being used for the app. I am planning on adding to it in the near future. I can look to make part of it public.

@pcontrabass and @notinept did you have anything specific that you wanted to see from the api?

4 Likes

Good news!

My most immediate need is a way to get a list of upcoming reviews and when they are scheduled for.

1 Like

That’s fantastic @Jake I have a simple discord bot that acts as an accountability mechanism for a small group I’m a part of: https://github.com/not-inept/crab-cop (currently wanikani focused since we’ve been able to follow along on that together).

As part of that, I’d be interested in:

• Lessons added to reviews (ideally we’d be able to filter by parameters, or get a paged result of all lessons added over time). I’d hope these objects would have information like: last updated by user action (a study source was checked off, a custom note was added, the lesson was added to a review), status of the lessons (srs status/has it been added to a review/what study sources are there and what has been checked off?), information on the lesson’s proficiency level and sublevel within that (i.e. prof: N5, level: 1).
  • Reviews done (again ideally paged, or filterable)
  • Some way to determine progress or ‘leveling’. If we have a lessons endpoint like I mentioned above I could use this to track progress by seeing what’s added to reviews and what’s at a specific SRS stage.
  • Some forecast on what the user will be tasked with in the near future.

My output for vocab/WK currently is:
@user is level #:
They’ve done # reviews in the last day.
#/# radicals (%)
# kanji (%)
# vocab (%)
lessons available: #
reviews available: #
reviews in the next day: #

My thinking around this is currently shaped by how the Wanikani API is, so I realize that may not be totally appropriate here and I’m totally open to suggestions and new ways of thinking. This language acquisition thing just seems to work better in a group, so having this sort of thing to create a leaderboard of sorts (we’re all scattered around the world) would definitely make bunpro a lot more useful for us.

Definitely let me know if you have any thoughts or questions, I’m excited to see what comes of this!

4 Likes

@pcontrabass @notinept

I have made the first iteration of the Bunpro API.

It is a basic version, only offering two options, study_queue and recent_items.

I will be adding to it based on the feedback you have given.

5 Likes

Awesome Thanks! This is great for a first step!

Also, what did you use to generate the api docs? it looks very attractive

1 Like

I used slate to generate the api documentation.

2 Likes

FYI: The response to the GET https://bunpro.jp/api/user/{USER_API_KEY}/study_queue endpoint returns a response with a requested_information.next_review_date value that seems to be off by at least a year (it equates to some time in 2017 for me).

2 Likes

I also think providing a users stats would be useful information to get in the api. I’m interested in making different data visualization for myself based on my progress.

2 Likes

Hi! I am creating a Japanese reading app that also tracks progress of Kanji, Vocab, grammar; it will furigana ignore any words that you already know. It is called ReadNihon

I have added the WaniKani API so that people can pull in known words from their Wani accounts. It would be great to also be able to add a Bunpro connection, so users can see known Grammar and have it furigana/English popup excluded when they are reading online. Any plans on making completed grammar points available via API?

Heya,

Is there going to be a way to get the time until next review of specific individual grammar points? Will this also include the time until next review for ghost reviews?

1 Like