Double honorific

Question:

どうぞ____ください。[召し上がる]

English:

Please go ahead and eat. [honorific]

Answer:

どうぞお召し上がりください。

The Tae Kim article talks about this double honorific, where the honorific verb is used, but it also does the おVerb[stem] thing. Now, he says that while this is sometimes done, it may not be technically correct. While I understand that Bunpro will sometimes quiz not 100% “official” grammar for practical reasons, here it is a bit misleading. The reason it’s misleading is because when I saw “[honorific]” I thought “oh, 召し上がる is the honorific word in place of 食べる, so I guess I just have to use that”. It didn’t occur to me to also do the おVerb[stem] thing because of that.

If you get rid of this sentence, yay. But if you want to keep it for those “people say it in the real world” reasons, could you maybe add a note during reviews that says it’s a double honorific?

2 Likes

Yes, and the exact opposite case is true for

おいでになる時間をお伝えください。

Where おいで is given in brackets but without mentioning that the お in おいで already is the honorific prefix (N4 lesson 10, 5/13).

This phrase is not considered double keigo.
(二重敬語) due to cultural practice.
The same way てください is used to make polite requests and is not considered keigo but teineigo(polite).

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/honorific
seartch: ください

Genki 2:
Page 170.

お・ご+XXX+になっていっらしゃる
お・ご+XXX+になってくださる
お・ご+XXX+になっていただく
Are also not double keigo(though not by cultural practice but by pure grammar, since those are considered two separate instances of honorific language).

I will add both:
召し上がってください
お召し上がってください
as acceptable answers.
・・・
What is considered double keigo?

Usually it is about using easy keigo(in short using passive voice) on verbs that are already in their honorific forms.
おっしゃられる。
honorific word + になる etc

And this is what he meant in his course, since it might be considered OK in clerks speech sometimes.

2 Likes

From the Tae Kim article:

店内でお召し上がりですか。

Service people want to be extra polite so they will often use this type of “double honorific” conjugation or 二重敬語 (in this case, the honorific 「召し上がる」 combined with the honorific conjugation). Whether it’s necessary or grammatically proper is another story.

Based on this, he is saying that simply using 召し上がる and doing the おVerb[stem] conjugation is considered 二重敬語. Am I misunderstanding?

Yes that’s right.
This is typical phrase of MC Donald’s clerks.

It should be 店内で召し上がりですか。:+1:

I am not sure if it was clear, but I meant that お召し上がりください is technically a 二重敬語, though it is not considered one because of tradition.(unlike お召し上がりですか、お召し上がろでしょうか).

Though some explain it other way, that お+XXX+ください like てください is not 敬語 but 丁寧語(polite language) creating a polite/honorific mix.

The most grammatically correct phrase would be 召し上がってください.
・・・
http://www.bunka.go.jp/seisaku/bunkashingikai/sokai/sokai_6/pdf/keigo_tousin.pdf
written by Agency of Culturar affairs says:

「二重敬語」は,一般に適切ではないとされている。ただし,語によっては,習慣
として定着しているものもある。
Double keigo is generaly regarded as not proper. However, depending on phrase, some has been estabilished as set expressions like:

And below is an example of:
お召し上がりになる,お見えになる

Below is also fragment saying that 「敬語連結」are gramatically correct:
お・ご+XXX+になっていっらしゃる
お・ご+XXX+になってくださる
お・ご+XXX+になっていただく

3 Likes

Thanks from the future, I was also thrown by ‘double honorific’ お召し上がりになっています that I’ve just had on a review

1 Like