Feature request: Suggested grammar points based on WaniKani learned vocabulary

Hello everyone!

I was just browsing the grammar lessons and I noticed that I saw a lot of vocabulary I learned on WaniKani that corresponded with certain grammar points.

So I am wondering: would it be possible to have a feature that shows which grammar points could be interesting based on my WaniKani activity?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Do you mean WK vocab thatā€™s actually a grammar point on Bunpro? Or did you mean WK vocab thatā€™s in the example sentences for grammar points? Depending on the answer there may be some existing things you could try!

Not the example sentence, but like grammar points themselves.

I had great trouble figuring out what the hell ꊘ角 is supposed to mean on Wanikani, then I discovered there is a whole grammar point for it on Bunpro!

Ahhhhhh gotcha! Honestly itā€™d be pretty hard to implement because using ꊘ角 as an example, iirc you learn that pretty early on with WK. Considering thatā€™s a late N3 point here it would probably just lead to more trouble than itā€™s worth unfortunately. Iā€™m not sure if the grammar points now on BP default to Kanji when search under All - if they do, you could just scroll down and see if one catches your eye that youā€™ve learned I guess? Only other way would be to export the WK vocab list into excel and do the same for BP and see what similarities arise.

Not worth the effort imo ^^ Maybe someone has a better suggestion that me. Thereā€™s bound to be a thread somewhere on the WK forum where someone has asked which vocab words corresponds to any purely JLPT grammar point, but that doesnā€™t really answer your problem. Maybe someone fancy with coding could create something that has the database of every WK vocab word and when you open the All page on BP itā€™d highlight said vocab words.

1 Like

I agree with peepee, you have something like 当 on level 5 in WK but 恫ćÆå½“ćŸć‚‰ćŖ恄 deep in the N1 hereā€¦there other examples like ꀝ which is scatter everywhere. Beginner WKā€™rs will surely be swamped by the example sentences and you will notice many grammar points are usually written in kana only so knowing the kanji is not paramount to using the grammar point (though it helps to know the kanji origins on some grammar points to solidify them and they are sometimes used). Worth noting that WKā€™s kanji is not based on usage priority, reason why you see N2-N1 kanji pretty early in the program. But if curious, many adverbs show up as grammar points so worth checking in Jisho for ā€œUsually written using kana aloneā€ message or BP database when doing WK lessons.

2 Likes

Maybe this would work well as a forum post cataloging all of them and linking to the pages.