Feedback - General

@xBl4ck I did not take it that way at all! Thank you for providing such excellent feedback. It is always appreciated. Cheers!

1 Like

After writing and editing this multiple times I really feel like I’m missing something here, since so much of the grammar point is seemingly included in other ones already. So… proceed with caution? :see_no_evil:
__

The grammar point γ¦γγ‚Œγͺγ„γƒ»γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγͺい contains too much information in my opinion. While the included grammar points do have similar meaning, they are created in different ways (Problem being you have to understand multiple different concepts to learn one item and they’re all quizzed on the same interval)

It seems to contain γ¦γγ‚Œγͺい, γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγͺい, γ¦γγ‚Œγ‚‹, γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγ‚‹, γͺγ„γ§γγ‚Œγ‚‹ and γͺγ„γ§γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγ‚‹

My attempt to explain thingies:

I am not sure why these are in there:

as γ¦γγ‚Œγ‚‹ is it’s own grammar point.

While γ¦γγ‚Œγͺγ„οΌŸ and γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγͺい? are similar requests, one is formed with the potential form and the other isnt. Granted, this isn’t a 100% reason to pull these apart, but it has been done for less with other grammar points and I like that a lot. Cramming too much into the same srs interval usually isnt a good thing.

It feels better to group " ~γ¦γ„γŸγ γ‘γΎγ›γ‚“γ‹" with β€œ~γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγΎγ›γ‚“γ‹β€ since they belong together and seperate β€œ~γ¦γγ‚Œγͺγ„οΌŸ/~γ¦γγ‚ŒγΎγ›γ‚“γ‹β€ from those two.

Edit:
Just realized β€œVerb[ て ] + γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγΎγ›γ‚“γƒ»γ‹β€ is already part of ~γ¦γ„γŸγ γ‘γΎγ›γ‚“γ‹? Why is it here again? I feel like I’m missing something :cold_sweat:
Is it only because of the γͺγ„οΌŸ ending?

Also, i feel like γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγ‚‹ shouldn’t be included here because, while it carries similar meaning, it feels different from the ~γͺγ„οΌŸ/~ませんか ones. Can’t really explain that one, other than that it’s formed differently, so… ? :man_shrugging:
Though I’m not sure if γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγ‚‹ would deserve a grammar point on it’s own, since its just てもらう in the potential form… :thinking:

Edit:
There’s also γͺγ„γ§γγ‚Œγ‚‹οΌŸ (and probably γͺγ„γ§γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγ‚‹?) crammed in there. Kind of feels like these combined deserve a grammar point on their own as well.

All of this is probably a lot of work and not an ideal solution yet either, but the γ¦γγ‚Œγͺγ„γƒ»γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγͺい grammar point feels really overloaded the way it is right now.

3 Likes

@xBl4ck Thank you for providing this very detailed analysis! When we created these grammar points we intended to juxtapose the casual request γ¦γγ‚Œγͺγ„γƒ»γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγͺい with the polite/humble request γ¦γ„γŸγ γ‘γΎγ›γ‚“γƒ»γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγΎγ›γ‚“. In both of these instances, γ¦γγ‚Œγͺい and γ¦γ„γŸγ γ‘γΎγ›γ‚“ are the focus of these grammar points with the γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγͺい・ません versions taking the role of an alternative.

Since γͺいで is simply the negative て form, it still falls under the structure guidelines for these grammar points and may not require a separate grammar point.

That being said, we agree that these points could use another look. In the meantime, I have updated the structures and replaced the γ¦γγ‚Œγ‚‹ and γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγ‚‹ examples with their negative γ¦γγ‚Œγͺい and γ¦γ‚‚γ‚‰γˆγ‚‹ to hopefully reduce some clutter. Thanks again for drawing this to our attention. Cheers!

5 Likes

Is this Japanese sentence actually valid?

If it is, I feel like the English doesn’t reflect it very well. It comes across to me more like, β€œeven if that happens every time” (with the β€œeven” coming from γ‚‚).

β€œNo matter what happens” would be something more like どうしても, wouldn’t it? I don’t see how γγ‚Œ could translate to anything other than β€œthat” here.

1 Like

Hey :blush:

we have replaced the example :+1:

Thanks for noticing it!

2 Likes

This one confused me a bit, because both the hint at the bottom and the yellow text seemingly suggest that you’re supposed to answer β€œI have to ~”, even though you’re only supposed to answer β€œdont memorize in advance”

1 Like

Hey :grin:

verb[negative] + といけγͺい is another construction that means β€œmust”.

I have changed it to γŠγΌγˆγ¦γŠγ‹γͺくてはいけγͺい since, there is no といけγͺい lesson yet.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Ah, yeah, I figured that much because it follows the β€œif you don’t it wont be good”-pattern.
What confused me a bit is that usually, mostly everything in yellow is part of what you’ll have to type in. Those few that have part of the answer already typed in tend to slow me down a bit.
Then again, it was during my morning review session and the hint added some to the confusion, so it’s probably fine now that it’s gone :see_no_evil: :smiley:

2 Likes

So I’m assuming I just don’t understand this sentence. Why is it くγͺγ‚‹ at the end? β€œBecome” wanting to take a bath. Is there something I don’t understand about the にγͺγ‚‹/くγͺγ‚‹ grammar point? Or does it have to do with とき (the actual grammar point for this sentence)?

@MissDagger Hi! This is the combination of Verb[γŸγ„] and γͺγ‚‹. We have ε…₯γ‚ŠγŸγ„, β€œwant to enter” and γͺγ‚‹, β€œto reach a state” or β€œbecome.” When Verb[γŸγ„] and γͺγ‚‹ are combined they behave similarly to い-adjectives in the same combination and become Verb γŸγ„γγͺγ‚‹. Therefore, ε…₯γ‚ŠγŸγγͺγ‚‹ literally means β€œTo reach a state of wanting to enter.” Since γŠι’¨ε‘‚γ«ε…₯γ‚‹ means β€œto take a bath,” the translation is closer to β€œI reach the point of wanting to take a bath.”

する β†’ γ—γŸγ„ β†’ γ—γŸγγͺγ‚‹
To do β†’ to want to do β†’ to reach the point of wanting to do
ι£ŸγΉγ‚‹ β†’ ι£ŸγΉγŸγ„ β†’ι£ŸγΉγŸγγͺγ‚‹
To eat β†’ To want to eat β†’ To reach the state of wanting to eat (to get hungry).

Here’s some additional information. Hope this helps. Cheers!

3 Likes

Ah, I see. I was wondering what γͺγ‚‹ could add to already wanting to do something. But it is about when that wanting is reached. So basically, (when it is cold,) it/cold makes me want to take a bath (/reach the point of wanting to take a bath).

2 Likes

For γ‚γ‚Šγ«, I’m reading that は is optional (γ‚γ‚Šγ«γ―) from DAJG though I see no mention in the BP entry. Other sources indicate the は add an emphasis. I also may suggest adding β€œdespite” and β€œconsidering” as a meaning entry which is helping me.

2 Likes

Hi again,
A question about this review item…

Why is my answer wrong when it’s just like the 2nd one shown in the β€œStructure” area?
Is that a mistake in the item? Should that also be correct?

@s1212z Thank you for providing this information! I have updated the meaning page as well as alternative answers for all γ‚γ‚Šγ« review questions. Cheers!

@GregX999 Thank you for your comment. While not necessarily incorrect, there is a slight difference in meaning and wording that makes γ—γ―γ˜γ‚γ¦γ„γŸγ¨γ“γ‚ a little unnatural here. γ—γ―γ˜γ‚γ¦γ„γŸγ¨γ“γ‚ means: β€œjust when I was starting to study” and γ—γ―γ˜γ‚γŸγ¨γ“γ‚ means :β€œhave just started studying.” These phrases are perfectly fine by themselves, but if we add い぀も (Whenever) into the mix we get: β€œWhenever I was just starting to study” and β€œWhenever I have just started studying” respectively. Just how in English, it sounds a little unnatural to say: β€œWhenever I was just starting to study” rather than β€œWhenever I am just about to start studying,” it sounds a little unnatural in Japanese. That being said, I have added a warning for this answer rather than marking you incorrect. Cheers!

3 Likes

I feel like γͺさる and γͺさい grammar points should be linked in the β€œrelated” section, as they’re pretty much the same thing.

Seems a bit weird that sources like Tae Kim tell you to remember that β€œγ€Œγͺさい」 only applies to positive verbs” instead of teaching it together with γͺさる, so maybe it deserves a mention as a note in the grammar point?

1 Like

Hi,

Although my auto renewal is currently off (and has been since I stopped using Bunpro a few weeks ago), I have just been charged for the next month.

Could someone please look into this?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I straightened everything out and reversed the charge. I will take a look at what might have caused it. Sorry for the trouble!

2 Likes

If I fail an item in the β€œQuiz Me” bit at the end of the 3 lessons you get in the β€œStudy” mode, do those items become Ghosts? Because I failed a couple this time and would like them to become ghosts so I can review how/why I got those ones wrong and try and understand/remember the grammar point more.

Right now they do not. One work around might be to go to the grammar point page for the grammar you want to drill extra and reset it and then review it through reviews once more. You will get a new sentence, but also get a little extra practice.

I will put this on our list to make sure we look more into it in the near future.

3 Likes

A manual add/remove ghost button would be lovely in general.

7 Likes