Feedback Request: New Type of Content

Hey everyone! Within the next week or two we are planning on launching a “Grammar in the Wild” daily Twitter/Instagram post.

The goal of the daily post is to show you real life instances of grammar, give you the chance to deduce the meaning and then provide you with a breakdown of how the grammar works in that instance.

Here are two examples of possible Grammar in the Wild posts, one being a page from manga, the other a sign that you might encounter in a building in Japan.

We would love to hear any feedback you have on whether you like the idea (or hate it :frowning: ), think it would be worthwhile, or have any suggestions on how to improve it.

P.S. here are links to our Twitter & Instagram.

25 Likes

Could someone from the admins post each of the daily “Grammar in The Wild” here in the forums (or a section of its own in BP) too, since I don’t have Twitter or Instagram account? Something that won’t be swamped with replies would be great, as it could be another Resource within BunPro as well.

Or would that be too much workload and it’s easier for me to just click the Twitter link instead? (Instagram is a no-go since I have to login to see anything there). If so, I just wish there’s a way I can skim through for only “Grammar in The Wild” section instead of the other updates and news.

P/S: Forgot to add that I love the idea, hence why I made the request :blush:

18 Likes

A discussion thread with the image as a reply each day isn’t outside of reason :+1:

P/S: Love that you love the idea!

6 Likes

You’re going to put this much effort into it daily?! :drooling_face: It’s awesome! All of this new reading content is amazing. I think a great thing to potentially add would be to encourage the user to make a sentence using the grammar point? This could lead to being able to potentially compile some more reading passages for the Reading section here! 一石二鳥

4 Likes

Please open a shop or a Patreon/Ko-fi or something! This is amazing, let me give you more money! :joy:

Only thing I wonder is if you should make it more clear it’s from your website. I know you have the logo, but it might not be recognizable to most people. Perhaps a link as well? I think most people at this point are used to name/site credits on images. I’d just want to make sure if it gets passed around elsewhere, maybe Reddit/Discord/etc, people can easily find you. It’d hopefully build your userbase as well. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great idea! I love it too.

To add to what distantflower wrote, for people that do not visit twitter or instragram a lot (yes, I am one of those), you could add a notification on the site, just like for new badges and so on (maybe with the possibility to choose the frequency).

Also, I like the fact that you added in the image a reference to the site lesson related to the grammar point. But at first I almost didn’t see it since it is very small, so maybe you could make it bigger and also paste the link to the related page (this may make people eager to visit the site).

4 Likes

I love the idea :grinning:

3 Likes

I think this is an awesome idea and am happy to see Bunpro exploring ways to add/advance the content. This seems like a great way to find challenge examples of grammar in the wild to test us. Posting this in multiple places does seem like a better way to make sure more users see it.

I think mediating the difficulty will be important here though. I may not be attracted to something like this if I don’t find myself actually challenged or coming across known grammar but in a context that stumps me as to what it means or what it’s doing. Just a thought.

3 Likes

Looks good to me! I don’t usually use Twitter so a link on the forums would be very much appreciated.

2 Likes

Planning on linking to the grammar on Bunpro :slight_smile:

@EdBunpro Good idea on the make a sentence. I think that could easily be part of the discussion thread.

@conan :joy: I will see about adjusting the logo size/making it more clear it is Bunpro.

@DWN I agree the difficulty might be tough as it will alienate some group of learners whether it be too easy or too hard. It may need to morph into one easier one and one harder one daily, but that is something we can address in the future.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :heart:

7 Likes

In addition to posting them in a thread here, it would probably be a good idea to have a link somewhere in each grammer point to the thread/threads that contain relevant examples. Maybe at the bottom of the “Examples” tab?

4 Likes

They’re cool but I don’t like that the translations are immediately visible. My brain naturally reads the English before I can stop it.

3 Likes

Already have a plan to solve that in place. :wink:

We are going to release a only Japanese version each day and the next day follow up with the version with an English translation. That way you will have a chance to try and translate it/deduce the meaning without the English in the way.

2 Likes