Feel like I’m getting “less good” at Bunpro

Thanks monkeytunes, this is a great perspective and I think you certainly understand my plight quite well.

At this level it is easier to see what I don’t know rather than what I do know. Being an artist as well, sometimes other people see a masterpiece and all I can see is the thing I wish I did better.

My knowledge of Japanese has never been better as I have never really gotten worse as it, my progress has just been slow. I also had TV Japan for like 2 years and watched it almost exclusively because the whole AJATT thing was all the rage at the time. I honestly don’t think I got all that much better. I got used to the flow and sound of Japanese, but I wasn’t studying a whole lot, so a lot of it just remained as simple sounds and fragmented pieces of sentences. It was easy to see why some foreigners live in Japan for several years and never learn. Bunpro has helped in having everything feel more whole.

6 Likes

Nah bud, part of actually getting good is realizing how bad you actually are. You probably are not getting less good, but just realizing you aren’t as good as you actually thought. False confidence comes all the time like that. That’s why it is important to be humble.
It takes 12 years to get good at anything you know. Doesn’t take nearly that long to be able to do something of course, but that’s the difference between being able and being good.

And don’t forget comparing yourself to others is very bad for your mind. I do my reviews quickly, but not because I’m good. I just normally don’t have a lot of time available so that’s the method I use.

7 Likes