For you, what was the most confusing part of Bunpro as a new user?

If you click the ‘faq’ link on the home page, it connects to this thread:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the feedback so far! I’m taking this into account, each and every comment.

If there’s any more stuff you guys would like to point out, keep it coming!!

4 Likes

Today I completed 1 month in bunpro. I finished N5 and did 21 grammar points in N4. Already paid for one year today :smiley:

So for me it was the bunny mode, but since now I use anki mode with keys 1,2,3 to answer them, not a problem anymore. It wasn’t working btw idkw.

I would say the ghost too, I think it looks like the leeches in WK. by default it is set to on, but I read someone here saying that it should be changed to a hardcore mode for these ghosts, I couldnt find it. So, just normal on mode.

Also people saying grammar points and lessons, bunpro recommends 3 grammar points a day, I dont know if this is one lesson only or 3 lessons.

Honestly I am kinda addicted to bunpro reviews. I wait them in anticipation more than WK reviews these last few weeks. So the method is working for me.

I finished shirimono from n5 to n2 but the website got a overhaul and got confusing at the point I had to quit, but even before that, I was doing them like a chore, it was very robotic, only one example sentence and I had memorized the answers.

With bunpro, I have to stop for a while and then I answer. That’s cool.

I wish it could use more diversified verbs, not only ‘study, clean, meet, buy’, for the example sentences. It sometimes look like genki II when I used it 11 years ago.

4 Likes

how many reviews are you averaging a day? doing 147 points in one month is crazy hahaha especially if you have ghosts, hats off to ya though! also the vocab i can assure you gets A LOT more “intense” (for lack of a better word) later on!

3 Likes

Hey! someone changed my title !

lol!

5 Likes

Can I ask one thing, as it’s an impressive speed at which you are moving…

Are you reading the sentences along out loud and then putting in the answer, or are you looking at the hint and responding to that?

I was definitely doing the latter for a long time, and whilst it helps you motor through BP, since I switched to the doing the former, my reading ability and retention has improved.

3 Likes

My first attempt at Bunpro was when it only had N5 and possibly N4, so quite some time ago. I think lack of info/support was an issue back then but obviously that doesn’t apply now, since there are a ton of example sentences, readings, help on the forums etc.

I think the self-directedness of it was an issue too when I came back to it. I’d gotten used to WK holding my hand, so it took a while to work out the balance.

1 Like

They probably have like 100-150 reviews on average.
Atleast I added 140 N2 Grammar points throughout november and had around that many reviews on average. You might have seen my stupidly high review amount in the Race

I am having 45 reviews a day. So far very simple because N5 and N4 for me are easy,

I used genki II 11 years ago, so even the sentences are similar. That’s why I pointed out about the same use of verbs.

I know from N3 and specially N2 on are quite a nightmare (when I used shirimono at least) because they are too similar to each other those grammar points and usually we dont see them in manga in a regular basis or news article and twitter, they are very specific IMO.

1 Like

I read the sentence in japanese, read the sentence in english, check the item inside [ ] and then I think what is the answer. Since I use anki mode with keys 1,2,3 review sessions are quite fast.

That’s how I mostly learned english, I am applying to japanese now.

And as I stated above, I have 45 reviews a day doing 3 grammar points every day. So I do these 3 grammar points and get a quiz in the end with three sentences, right?

So I wanna finish N4 (I guess in february at this pace) then I will do 3 grammar points every other day, because by then I guess my vocab will increase a little more from WK (level 34 there now) and I will start reading more complex manga.

Honestly nowadays after a workday I am not in the mood like I was back in college to read manga even in my native language :stuck_out_tongue:

wow, you’re crushing it!

anki mode? going to look in the settings … the way you describe it is almost like multiple choice with hot keys…

edit: couldn’t see anything like that in the settings, is it a custom user script?

1 Like

Like others, the most confusing or overlooked piece for me has always been Cram. I don’t think I’ve ever used it, even though I’m sure there’s value there somewhere. I think it could benefit from a bit more user-friendly overview/explanation, and maybe new features too to make it easier and enticing for people like me to get started.

For example, if cram is useful for busting ghosts, make it easy to cram just your ghosts! From above it sounds like that process isn’t exactly intuitive right now, especially if you’re on mobile. Or how about an option to “Cram ghosts + all related (unlocked) grammar”? Or even unrelated to ghosts, say I want to drill all conditionals (“if”) to see the differences between them better – let me select a grammar point and a checkbox to “cram all related points”. Etc etc.

The best part has always been how the grammar is presented. I like having the synopsis and example sentences on-site, with the ability to check other references to dig deeper if needed. This saves so much time and mental energy from me needing to say myself “I don’t quite get that. I wonder what tae kim or reddit say about this point, let me google.”

One related thing: I do wish more attention was given to discussion topics for grammar points. Often I’ll go to these threads looking for help and someone will have asked a question months ago with no response. I get that it’s a community effort, but I wonder if there’s a better way to do it. If I run into one of these topics that appears abandoned, should I tag an admin?

3 Likes

Yes, it is , all the way at the top of the list :wink:

Though I’m personally not really a fan of it, as it’s too easy to read over a mistake you make or think to yourself I got it right. So it works well if you’re really thorough and disciplined probably, but I wouldn’t recommend it otherwise (Though my error percentage and thus review load was way lower when I used it in the past, which was nice at least :stuck_out_tongue: )

it is a script

and just like quadban said, you have to be disciplined. A slightly mistake (specially for those formal or casual that sometimes I dont pay attention to the hint, and I end up mistaking them)

I just type key for “I dont know”. I prefer to repeat several times until I get them right.

Same with flaming durtles for WK, I use anki mode and when I say/answer wrong, I just set it to incorrect.

1 Like

interesting that on WK those threads about news articles and grammar points are way more popular than here.

Usually I ask there and I get several answers.

yes, many threads here I see they were created in the beginning of the year and then forgotten.

1 Like

To be fair though, it does have to do with the amount of active users on the forums and the level of users a bit too. You have some (very active) users with a very high level of Japanese over on the WK forums as well as a way bigger user base (For example, I get a notification for every new post made on ALL threads here in the forums, because the activity is relatively low, if I were to do that on the WK forums I would be pinged many times a minute at certain hours of the day).

I would love to contribute to the grammar point discussion and the like, but due to the low activity there I could make a mistake, not be corrected on it for months at a time and in the mean time cause either confusion or straight up mistakes in many other readers, so I stay out of it (as might others), which means lower activity, less chances for corrections… A vicious circle.

The only solution I see is to just ask questions on any thread where you get a problem, with some luck it will draw in more engagement to the threads, cause other users to browse / pay attention to it more and in a while we might see it flourish like the WK discussions.

1 Like

What’s interesting with the WK forums is that there’s a lot of activity that isn’t related to learning kanji per se

1 Like

I’ve avoided the WK forums for so long now for that reason, honestly its like 95% random superfluous rubbish.
It’s like being on an MSN chat forum from the 90’s

3 Likes

I feel like they do a pretty good job at keeping that contained in the campfire section though, the on-point discussions are (generally speaking) pretty on-point.

1 Like

Fair, but theres so little of it thats useful, and just gets lost in a sea of notifications and quickly dropped down from everything else