てしまう・ちゃう・じゃう - Grammar Discussion

Hello @Fuga ! Thank you for your explanation as it definitely cleared things up.

I did not realize that 終わる was intransitive… I now see the reason why the causative was used. If I may ask, would it be different if I were to use 終える instead?
ゲームを始める前に宿題を終えてしまおう。
This one seems to make sense grammatically, but I wonder if it really is correct.

Glad it cleared things up!

終える has the same meaning as 終わらせる. However 終える has the added nuance of something ‘ending/finishing naturally’/‘letting something come to an end on its own without putting in effort’, while 終わらせる by itself has a stronger nuance of ‘working/putting effort into finishing something’. Because of this added nuance in 終える, it sounds very unnatural when paired with てしまおう(Let’s completely finish).

Hello!

I just saw Kaname Naito’s video on this grammar and thought it was quite clarifying. Would it be a good idea to add it to the オンライン section?

Thank you for your consideration, 良い一日を

1 Like

Hi, for some reason it says my solution is wrong, is it wrong using the polite form or I am missing something?

Hey @xgc1986 !

We have just added わすれてしまいました to the list of answers that would trigger a hint so that the it wouldn’t be counted as wrong!

1 Like