command to do

Structure

• Verb[stem] + なさい

View on Bunpro

1 Like

If I’m correct, the difference between these two:

• Verb +
  • Verb[stem] +

Is that respectively, they mean DO something, and DON’T do something?

So:

• いくな = Don’t go!
  • いきな = Go!

Listening exams must be exhausting…

Also, does this mean that “ごめんなさい” (御免なさい) means “Excuse me”, but in a commanding way? You’re commanding someone to excuse you?

2 Likes

There is this explanation on this grammar point: :point_right: Can be shortened to just な to make more casual.

I don’t understand. I’m sorry if my comprehension is slow and/or my limited English. I’ve read the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar book on page 284 on this related grammar point. I can understand if this explanation is for the negative statement, ex. Don’t touch 触るな。

Question: How can I use this “na” for positive statement?

1 Like

@Pep95
@nanda

You are right @Pep95, basically the first な is added to dictionary form of a verb, basically used to forbid something (in casual language).

The second one is a contraction of なさい、so it is な attached to the verb stem.

@nanda
You conjugated properly, the answer wasn’t in the database.
I am updating it right now/

Sorry for the inconvenience :bowing_man:

Edit:
Done, only the first one was missing the alternative answer :bowing_man:

3 Likes

That is right, this is respectful prefix ご + 免 + なさい being a polite imperative form of respectful word なさる.

But it lost all imperative meaning, it is a set expression.

Notice that お+ やすみ + なさい is very similar. :+1:

3 Likes

For this sentence…

I had thought to use あげる here (渡してあげなさい) - is that a “valid” way to say that as well?

Hey! A similar question popped up in the てあげる thread.

Basically, it won’t change the meaning, but emphasize that the action is a favor.

Cheers!

This grammar point states: “なさい is the imperative form of なさる”, without further elaboration.
However, the grammar point on the imperative form looks completely different, suggesting that it would be either なされ, or なさろ.
Where does this difference come from?

A similar claim is made for ください in a different grammar point, so It cant be completely irregular either.

なさる and くださる belong to a group of slightly irregular verbs where the imperative and the masu stem end in -ai, together with いらっしゃる and おっしゃる and ござる.

2 Likes