なくてはならない - Grammar Discussion

Hi, I have a question about the yellow part of this example sentence.

There is no を and I’m not sure about the です
Is the を just gone for shortening or is this a kind of passive sentence?
Like: The bento hasn’t been eaten yet.
Thanks in advance.

It was just omitted. Perfectly natural when it’s obvious what particle would go there.

です can be added to negative verb forms for an increase of formality. Adding です makes it more respectful

Basic low to high formality

食べない
食べないです
食べません

1 Like

Ah ok, thats good to know. It will probably be omitted a lot in more advanced lessons.

It should have known about the です part though. I saw it in the lessons of course but I always used either the casual or the formal form and not the casual + formal です form.
So it looked strange to me.
Thanks again for the explanation

1 Like

In the sentence, 君きみが決きめなくてはならないよ。Why is ならない allowed but いけない is not allowed?

Because that review is only testing ならない. They’re synonyms tested as two separate points. いけない doesn’t work only because it wants ならない specifically. Real world application they’re mostly interchangable

1 Like

Man this is the second question of mine you have answered, you are on fire! haha thanks again!

1 Like

死ぬ前に汽車に一度は_。(乗る)

I don’t know if my settings changed or if the site changed but all I got as a clue for this one was “Negative non-past, Standard”, which seems a lot less helpful than the “long form / casual / て+なる” I see earlier in this thread.

Is there something about the prompt that makes なくてはならない clear without cycling through all of the other permutations of "must"s out there? There are no alts for this one.

The hint was " A very formal, usually written way to say that something must be done." I put in ~なければならない, but it wanted ~なくてはならない. Could anyone help me recognise when Bunpro is asking for なければ vs なくて?

1 Like

Same question here, I basically just try いけ always and change it to なら is it’s marked wrong. I can’t see the logic here, especially as the grammar note says it’s for more formal cases but these are listed as “standard”

I saw the same hint “Negative non-past, Polite” and used the なくてはいけないです and got marked incorrect. The fact that Bunpro has all of these “must do/have to do” synonyms on the study site and then don’t specify which form they are asking for in the reviews is the most annoying thing I have encountered so far on this site.