~した~ - Grammar Discussion

I got this sentence それは、あの店が売ったお弁当でしょ but ended up typing in 売ったことがある instead (which is wrong). Now, I started to wonder if that would’ve been acceptable. I actually asked ChatGPT about this but I’m not entirely sure if I can trust its answer:

1. それは、あの店が売ったお弁当でしょう: This sentence means, “That must be the bento that the store sold.” It’s indicating that the specific bento you’re referring to was sold by that store.
  2. それは、あの店が売ったことがあるお弁当でしょう: This sentence translates to, “That must be the bento that the store has sold before.” By adding “ことがある”, you’re implying that the store has experience of selling that kind of bento in the past. It does not necessarily mean the specific bento you’re referring to was sold at that store.

While the first sentence refers to a specific instance of sale, the second sentence refers to a recurring or past event, that the store has experience of selling that type of bento. So, while they are similar, the nuanced difference lies in whether you’re talking about a specific instance (first sentence) or a general past occurrence (second sentence).

Is ChatGPT right about the “this particular sale” vs. “more general” nuance?

I’ve been struggling to differentiate between this grammar point and the の-verb nominalizer grammar point. For example, is there a nuanced difference between these two sentences?

掃除をした人。
掃除をしたの[は/が]人。

1. The person that cleaned
  2. The one that cleaned is person
1 Like

I don’t really understand this grammar point and I feel like there is information missing. Why does 住む become 住んでいる? Specifically, where does the ん come from?

1 Like

Hi!

住む becomes 住んでいる because it is in its ている form, as 住む is one of those verbs that require the ている form to make real sense (you dwell and continue in the state of dwelling in a certain place).

The comes from the way a む ending verb takes its て form.

Click on the hyperlinks to learn more on these grammar points.

HTH!

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation!

1 Like