~になる・~くなる - Grammar Discussion

@koko191
Hey :smiley:

One normally would say:
うるさくなった or 騒がしくなった(さわがしくなった)
(It got noisy)

Not sure where to ask this, since it’s more around verb + なる, but this was the closest topic. I’m trying to understand how パソコンが動かなくなっちゃった translates to “My computer stopped working” or “doesn’t work”. I found that verbs can be used with なる similar to i-adjectives – in this case drop the い from the nai form and add く. Two questions I still have though:

1. If my verb is positive, e.g. I want to say “My computer started working.”, How do I conjugate 動く to work with naru? Or would I just use the ている form of the verb instead?
  2. What’s going on with the second part of the conjugation for なる? I can’t figure out why ちゃ is in there.

This is probably not much help but might be something to mull over whilst waiting on people that know what they are talking about to come online!

Is it なくなるrather than なる?(to die/cease to be)
‘Started working’ probably uses 始めるin some way but I haven’t learned that grammar point yet so can’t give specifics.
I think that that ちゃhas something to do with expressing regret about an action but again, I haven’t learned it properly yet. I’ve just heard it a few times on Japanese Ammo.

I think the closest structure for verbs in their positive form is ようになる.

パソコンが正常に動くようになった。
The computer started working normally.

It’s not quite as dramatic as 亡くなる.

動かない it’s not moving
動かなくなる it becomes not-moving

You can do this with all い-adjectives and other words that act like い-adjectives, not just with negative verbs.

動き始めた. There are other nuances of “start working” too like 出す when it suddenly starts doing something. (Bunpro has grammar points for at least these two.)

動かなくなっちゃった is
動かなくなってしまった.

This is covered in the てしまう grammar point.

-てしまう expresses something like finality or completion. It’s often associated with regret or a degree of undesirability.

I wanted to write that the PC is not in a state it can be easily be brought out of e.g. by pushing a magic repair button, as opposed to just having stopped processing something etc. But then I remembered we’re talking about PC’s and people regularly think those are completely broken before they even try the magic power button…

2 Likes

Thanks Neko, that’s brilliant stuff! :heart:

1 Like

I’ve got a question about this grammar point. Using the example:

早くなる : To become fast

Since 早く is the adverbial form of the い-adjective ‘fast’, why does this not mean “To quickly become (something)”? Is it just an exception for the verb なる that applied adverbs are taken to be what is ‘become’? If I did want to say that someone quickly became something, how would I say it?

1 Like

@thepackett
Good question. :+1:

To be honest, we consider the く form of an いadjective, an adverb, but it is simplification since it has similar rules of use to adverbs, however, as a fact it is a 連用形 - the conjunctive form of an adjective. From an English perspective, in some cases, it might behave like an adjective or adverb. By the way, some く forms (very few) like 近く behave like nouns too.

You can use 早く with なる when you want to express that you want to become something quickly (early), however, in that case, the なる has to be attached to what you want to become, the 早く, in that case, modifies the “become X”.
早く弁護士になりたい I want to become a lawyer quickly.
すぐに弁護士になりたい I want to become a lawyer quickly.
早くなる become fast(er)

I hope it helps, :cowboy_hat_face: :+1:
Cheers!

PS
もっと or とても are pure adverbs.
PS2
There are also a so-called flat adverbs in English - adverbs that have the same form as corresponding adjectives - fast is one of them, as in “drive fast”.

1 Like

typo :smile:

…or a brilliant new show about a cow who got tired of chewing grass all day and decided that she no longer wants to follow the herd: Clarabelle, Ace Cow Lawyer.

3 Likes

Hahahaa, fixed :smiley:

さむときは、お風呂ふろはいりたくなる

In this sentence, why can’t we just say 入りたい? What meaning does the なる add?

You could.

Using なる emphasizes that there is a change of state that happens.

1 Like

Hello !

To be 100% sure. Is it correct to say ? :
静かなりません(でした)

I think you want:
静かなりません
[it] doesn’t become quiet.

1 Like

Indeed thanks !

Hi there,

I just wanted to feedback I really am struggling with this grammar and this list did help so much. Maybe it could also integrated in the grammar point for direct reference?

However, thanks a lot for the discussion, I would be doomed without it :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s a newer thing but I think other grammar points show a red cross across the い in い adjectives when the い disappears and is replaced with く. I recently reset and started from scratch again and so far I think most entries have had the “crossed out” い。

Got a quick question:

雪が降った。車が白くなった

This example has come up in my reviews, but I was wondering if it was possible to put a て within the answer:

雪が降った。車が白くてなった

It keeps getting flagged as incorrect, so I figured I’d ask if I was missing anything.

Hey there @Cube2000 !

It is not possible to use て here! It would not work because the い-adjective does not have to be conjugated using the て form. In addition to this, conjugating it using the て form, 白くてなった, sounds very unnatural.

I hope that answers your question!

1 Like

Not sure where else to put this. I see in Japanese we use counter words typically as an adverb? And these adverbs seem to function as a noun for connections, ie we use の to connect to a noun after. But what is functionally the difference then between a sentence like 多くの木の公園 where we are describing the trees existing adverbially, vs a sentence like 木が多い公園 where just the い adjective is used plainly?

Question about ~くなる conjugation in an example that came up in the とき grammar point.

The sentence example is:
昨日の夜布団に入ったときに、トイレに行きたくなった。
“Last night when I got in my futon, I ended up needing to go to the bathroom.”
How does 「トイレに行きたくなった」translate to “I ended up needing to go to the bathroom.”
Upon reading it, I would have thought it meant something more like, “Last night when I entered my futon, I didn’t want to go to the bathroom.”

I’m just wondering what the rules are for conjugating verbs into ~くなる?
The grammar point in the ~になる・~くなる page does not cover verb conjugations, so I’m a tad confused :crazy_face: