Grammar Hints Update! June/13/23

Some of the hints contain English phrases so that our students know what the English equivalent of that word/phrase is, and so that they can make a better connection between them. :blush:

1 Like

No. I mean preserve the legacy behavior of seeing the hint in English first.

— Dave

I love this update, having the hints in Japanese is really helping me get accustomed to reading Japanese dictionary entries, etc. One request: the hints that are now showing up in “Cram” mode don’t display furigana the right way, making it more difficult to read, and breaking any assistive kanji lookup tools you might have installed in the browser.

Keep up the good work! I’ll keep recommending Bunpro to every learner I know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mean I get that, but isn’t that the point of the English nuance hint?

1 Like

I have talked about this with some of the other Bunpro staff, and we have decided to keep the Japanese hint strictly Japanese, since we already have a English hint. We have just updated some of the hints and removed English from the Japanese hints! Thank you for the suggestion!

6 Likes

Hey @Subspacer ! We have just added hints for 命令形! :blush:

3 Likes

Hello. I don’t see Japanese hints in the iOS app yet; is there a plan to add them any time soon?

I love this update btw so thanks a lot for making it happen.

2 Likes

They should be working already, I am looking into that.

2 Likes

@Mikazuki
Ok, it seems that to fix this, you will have to go to the settings and reset data.
(Dashboard → top left button → settings → search for reset data)

3 Likes

Doesn’t the japanese version of this hint say the complete opposite? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@reisen
The issue with the hints in cram should be fixed :bowing_man:

2 Likes

It works now; thank you.

1 Like

There are four levels of hint in the reviews.
How do I set a default level that works in every review?

Under Settings > General, if you scroll about halfway down you’ll see the area called Reviews. Here you can adjust the review hint, grammar hint order, etc. IIRC if you have your reviews open in another tab and adjust the settings in the other, it’ll automatically change it during the review session. This way you don’t need to go back or forth or anything like that.

Hope this helps! :snowboarder:t2:

I got a life-time subscription back in 2018. Now, I’m feeling as if I won the lottery. This site keeps getting better and better. In the beginning, I barely used it because synonymous kept being rejected so it was a bit frustrating. Prompts like “This is correct but we are looking for something …” were not as common as today. Anyway, Bunpro has been immensely responsive to its users. お客様は仏様ですね Thank you so much! 心に感謝します

4 Likes

Hey there @Sasugasm !

It seems like there was an error in the English translation, so we have changed it to say ‘positive’ instead of ‘negative’. This is a hint for the grammar point いい, so it should say ‘A word used to highlight the positive qualities of something’. It is up to our students to work out if this sentence requires a negative or a positive form of いい for this sentence.

I hope that clears it up! :blush:

4 Likes

Adding on to what @Fuga mentioned. It seems like the English hint was changed only for this one particular sentence, which it should not have been. We have taken note of this and made a team notification so that it does not happen again in future. Thanks for catching this! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This is a great addition, thank you! :smiley: Also thanks for the explanation on how to get the Japanese hint with the English sentence translation :slight_smile: (Also unrelated, didn’t notice the NSFW toggle before, neat!)
(How do you prefer positive feedback that has nothing substantial to say btw? I kinda feel like I’m clogging up the forum with this post, but a “like” on a post could mean anything?)

2 Likes

This is amazing.

2 Likes

I think there’s a small contradiction in the hints for 一方だ. The English says “regarding either intensity or number” and the Japanese says “regardless of intensity/number”.

Thank you guys for the hard work on this feature though — it is seriously amazing! :pray:t2:

1 Like