Grammar in the Wild - Phase 2!

We will definitely make allowances for being late etc. As that has also been our fault a few times due to inconsistent posting. Think of it as more of a 40 hour daily post timer, than a 24.

4 Likes

The times I’ve looked at the grammar in the wild threads, it’s been too hard for my N5/N4 lite powers. Would it be possible to mark them with anticipated difficulty, so I could skip to ones that might be discernible for us padawans…

4 Likes

Usually the box at the bottom of the page will have the N-level of the target grammar point written in it. Sometimes the actual sentences though could potentially be easier than that N-level, or harder than that N-level, based on what vocabulary is being used (or what other grammar points). If you are not sure about something, I would recommend trying to translate it in your head, and then maybe having a look at a few of the other translations. There is absolutely no penalty for being wrong when participating in GITW, and quite often, you are likely to get help from other users if you really miss something.

Due to that, I would recommend giving it a shot regardless, and using the N-level of the chosen grammar point as a rough indicator of how difficult it is. If you are not comfortable translating it, also feel free to ask questions about the vocabulary or grammar, as that will also count as participation. :blush:

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you for the badge! GITW is a really fun and insightful activity, and I recommend everyone to participate it, despite one’s language level. The main point is that you’ll see the right answer every day, and you also can see people’s answers, so you can improve your Japanese understanding. It’s really insightful.
Thank you @Asher and @Jake for your great efforts! :heart:

3 Likes

What’s tripping you up on the sentences - the vocab or the grammar itself? If it’s vocab, there’s nothing wrong with using yomichan and manually translating a bunch of words and then attempting the translation. I think I’m at around 4500 words or something in Anki atm and there’s been so many times I’ve seen words in N5 examples I’ve never mined before haha.

Obviously do whatever you’re comfortable with, but the thread really is filled with great people who are ready to help and explain everything!

4 Likes