Grammar past JLPT

Will Bunpro eventually let you study grammar that isn’t included in the JLPT? Or is the JLPT grammar all the grammar that you need to know?

2 Likes

Honestly just knowing JLPT N2 grammar should be enough to understand most of Japanese media. N1 is already really rare / advanced.

2 Likes

I just want to make sure I know all modern Japanese grammar

Maybe just for fun, there could be a separate colloquialism/slang section? haha.

4 Likes

Greetings,
I am studying N1 right now and although I understand where you are coming from, I can’t say I fully agree with the oft repeated statements to the effect that N1 Japanese is ‘really rare etc.’ and therefore, by implication of little value. In fact, not only is -a lot- of grammar in N1 actually normal in daily conversation but conversely, N2 also contains some items that are less than common. To be fair, there are some patterns in N1 that one would only use at formal ceremonies , but it really is a question of what your goals are in learning Japanese. From my perspective, I read a lot of Japanese literature so I come across many of the N1 expressions. Nor am I ruling out the possibility of working in a formal environment that includes translation. The N1 material is mostly very helpful and important. I only rule out stuff if it isn’t including in the Dictionary of Modern Japanese series published by The Japan Times. That is a pretty standard yardstick and most of N1 is in the advanced book in the same way that most of N2 can be found in the Intermediate book.
I do hope this site is going to be able to live up to its promise of producing an N1 site soon, even if only in small chunks. There are plenty of people out there who just finished N2 and once they see the value of Bunpro I think the demand will increase rapidly.
Warmest regards,
Buri

3 Likes