Grammar Points beyond/outside JLPT

With N1 explanation on its way to be added. Is there any grammar related content update Bunpro plans to add? I really like how easy the SRS makes revising grammar and the clarity of its explanations. So i was wondering if there’s any chance of Bunpro adding a N0 of sorts, that covers non-JLPT grammar points, or maybe create other dialect decks like the Kansai Dialect one.

Of course that would be something for the medium-future at earliest, since it will still take a bit more month for all the N1 explanations to be added. But i am curious about the topic

10 Likes

Also very interested in this.

I would be interested in like a “Dialects 101” course or something, something that compares the basic features of the language in each major region of Japan. I also personally would be interested in a much larger Kansai-ben deck as the current one is very basic however I would imagine the work that would have to go into making a proper Kansai-ben course would be massively disproportionate to the amount of people who would use it.

5 Likes

In the 2022 Year in Review they mentioned that they are planning on doing this potentially this year
“Continuing to expand on the grammar we cover, hopefully getting to N0 grammar and slang this year.” (Lifetime Sale, A Year in Review and 2023)

Unsure if there have been any updates since though

3 Likes

Definitely something we have planned. We haven’t figured out the finer details of how/when we’re going to start releasing them yet, but if I had to guess, we’ll probably release a small handful at a time (10 grammar points or so).

6 Likes

I’d be interested in this as well. Sometimes in LangCorrect, I’ll type in different dialects on purpose. It’s a weird exercise but it’s helped me get used to hearing ない changed to へん!

I’d particularly love practice with eye dialect. I’ve read whole-ass math books in Japanese and they were easier for me than parsing speech in video games from, like, little girl characters and talking animals!

2 Likes

I totally lost that post, but that’s very cool. Knowing Bunpro plans to add those features make me excited for sure.

2 Likes

Thanks for responding! It does make me exciting for when it hits the site. I myself am still doing N1, so i’ll probably be focusing on that for now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes