GrammarInTheWild - Daily Discussion

Translation

冷蔵庫を調べると食べ物が入っていることがあり、それを食べるとステ-タスが上昇することがある。また、菜々子が買い物に行った日はお弁当の材料が入っていて、お弁当を作ると翌日にほかのキャラクタ-と食べられる。

冷蔵庫 = Refrigerator; Fridge

を = Indicates direct object of action

調べる = To examine; To look up; To investigate; To check up; To sense; To study; To inquire; To search

と = If / When

食べ物 = Food

が = Indicates sentence subject

入っている = ている-form of 入る (to contain; to hold; to accommodate) so 入っている = is contain + ing

こと = Circumstances; situation; state of affairs

があり = ありis apparently the old 終止形 (plain form) of ある, so this is the same as があるI guess. がある = to be / there is

それ = That

食べる = to eat

と = If / when

ステ-タス = Status

上昇 = Rising; Ascending; Climbing

する = To do

こと = Circumstances; situation; state of affairs

がある = To be / There is

また = Also; Too; As Well; Likewise

菜々子 = Nanako (name)

買い物 = Shopping

に行った = に行く (V + に行く) = to go / to go in order to. Past tense = に行った

日 = Day

は = Topic Marker Particle

お弁当 = Bento (I take it everyone knows this one, but in case not : Japanese Box Lunch)

の = Indicates Possessive

材料 = Materials; Ingredients

入っていて = 入っている but withて–form. The て-form is there to (I believe) establish a prior-posterior relationship with the main verb作る. Please correct me if I’m wrong on this one!

お弁当 = Bento

作る = To prepare (food); To brew alcohol

と = If / When

翌日 = Next day

に = At (place, time); In; On; During

ほか = Other (Place, Thing, Person); The rest; et al.

の = Indicates Possessive

キャラクタ- = Characters

と = With

食べられる = Potentioal form of 食べる → Can eat

Rough : Checking the fridge if it contains food, that if you eat status rises. Also, Nanako days went shopping, ingredients to make bento are contained. Obento make, next day with other characters can eat.

Natural : You can check to see if there is food in the refrigerator, if you eat it your status will rise. Also, on the days where Nanako went shopping, there will be ingredients to make a bento. If you make a bento you can eat it with the other characters the next day.

Longer texts are fun (and a bit easier as the context is very clear), though I don’t think I’m going to type out and deconstruct the next paragraph length one as I normally do, that beast took a while to type out even though I understood it on first reading :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy to see longer texts though, feel free to keep 'em coming ^^

7 Likes
Translation

There are times where you can find food when you look in the refrigerator. When you eat it, your stats have a chance to improve. Also, on days where Nanako went shopping (for food), there are ingredients to make a bento(s). If you make a bento(s), you can eat it with another character on the following day.

7 Likes
1 The fridge Takes time | Material object (※1)
Speaking of the fridge, it contains food placed there in advance. If you eat it, your status will be increased. Moreover, if it’s a day when Nanako bought groceries, the fridge contains ingredients for bento. If you made a bento, it can be eaten by another character the next day.

Edit: whoops, ほかのキャラクターと, not ほかのキャラクターで.
Edit2: and I confused 調しらべる with しゃべ

6 Likes

i am a beginner at grammar so whatever, but might as well try even if it turns out completely wrong :smiley:

Translation and Assumptions

“When you check the fridge for food (put in there), your status will rise if you eat it. Moreover, on days Nanako went shopping, she will put ingredients for a bento in there and if one is made it can be eaten (together) with another character on the following day.”

Thoughts:
this might be completely wrong, but i think its not nanako making the bentos because it explicitly tells us that ingredients she buys for bento end up in the fridge. I feel talking about that step would be meaningless in that case. Would seem a bit redundant to not leave out that part and just skip towards her “buying and making a bento which can be eaten the next day(…)” if that was meant(?)
the 菜々子が買い物に行った日はお弁当の材料が入っていて also is separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma, making it seem to me as if nanako is only the subject for the first part and the explanation goes back to “talking about us performing an action = here making a bento and sharing it the next day”

“and if one is made” is probably wrong though as its not a passive form here, just shows how unsure I was about the whole thing. Maybe it is Nanako making it after all :sweat_smile:

I think the length is cool because you often encounter longer sentences than just a single line and end up feeling overwhelmed. By looking at it part by part I ended up at least getting the gist of it, like this difficulty

10 Likes
Summary

There are times upon when you check the food put in the refrigerator, the food will improve. On the days to when Nanako shopping she puts in the bento ingredients (into the frig) and makes a bento the next day, and it is good to eat.

Edit:

Looking through, it’s obvious I know nothing about what this game is or the concept of what is happening here. Apparently all the translations are very literal and there was nothing abstract at all to cipher, that would have been much easier.

Seems I don’t know anything about makeup either, had no idea what cushion or foundation is. Oh well…

6 Likes
Translation

Sometimes when you look in the fridge there will be food. When you eat that food your stats may increase. Furthermore, on days when Nanako went to the store, there will be ingredients. If you use those ingredients to make lunch, you can eat it on the following day with other characters.

Summary

辞書形+と - upon doing something, if/when doing something
ことがある - lit. there are times… In other words, sometimes.
お弁当 - I considered whether to leave this untranslated as just bento. Presumably many people that play Persona games already know what bento is, but bento isn’t such a culturally specific word that it can’t be reasonably translated into another language, so I went with just “lunch”

5 Likes
Translation

If you investigate the refrigerator, there will occasionally be food inside. If you eat that food, your status will sometimes increase.

Also, on days Nanako goes shopping, bento ingredients will be put inside. If you make bento, the following day you can eat it with another character.

It was surprisingly easier than I expected! Although I’m not 100% sure about a couple of things, I think I understood most of it. I think this is the perfect length as well – it lets those who want to translate more do so, while still allowing others to only translate one sentence or so if they choose.

Side note - I absolutely loved Persona 5 and this game has been on my to-do list for a long time (I have it installed on my PS Vita). I might have to finally break it out. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

September 9th Translation

Notes :
As can be seen in this example, the ‘if’ meaning of と is regularly used in relation to things that are always expected to happen in the same way. This means that it is one of the most common forms used in guides for games and similar things, where the same result will always occur upon a certain action.

6 Likes

September 10th
など

Text :
かぜなどでのどがツライ。殺菌成分CPC配合

6 Likes

など

Summary

“For when you have a cold or other throat pain. Mixture contains antimicrobial ingredient CPC”

殺菌 is ‘sterilization’ but obviously this is a medicine and no-one wants to be sterilized, so ‘antimicrobial’ works better in context. To be specific, ‘antibacterial’ doesn’t suit as CPC kills virus and other microbes, as well as bacteria, which is why its used in medicines like this. (I’m a Biomedical Scientist haha)

10 Likes
Translation

かぜなどでのどがツライ。殺菌成分CPC配合

Sore throat due to cough, etc. Contains sterilization ingredient CPC.

セチルピリジニウム塩化物水和物

Cetylpyridinium chloride hydrate (CPC)

Added the bonus text from the bottom of the sign… :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

“For throath pains due to cold and such. Mixture contains CPC antimicrobial/disinfectant/whatever the correct medical term is”
A more literal translation would be “Mixture is part CPC antimicrobial” since the suffix 分 indicates a part of something, but the meaning is the same.

5 Likes
Summary

Cold and the likes
Throat ache
COD cold medecine (?)

In case of a cold or a sore throat, take CPC pills (or I guess whatever medecine this is on)

6 Likes

If you have a sore throat due to something like fever, use mixture with CPC (Cetylpyridinium chloride) disinfection​ component.

Edit: ahaha, I had a brain fart and typed “fever” instead of “cold”

4 Likes
Translation

かぜなどでのどがツライ。殺菌成分CPC配合

かぜ = cold

など = such as; things like; etc. ; and so on

で = by; with

のど = throat

ツライ = painful; bitter; heart-breaking; difficult (emotionally)

殺菌 = Sterilization; disinfection

成分 = Ingredient; Component; Composition

配合 = Combination; Arrangement; Distribution; Mixture; Match; Harmony

Rough : Colds and so on with painful throats. Sterilization ingredient CPC mixture.

Natural : For those with a cold or other throat problems. Mixture containing CPC, a bactericidal ingredient.

Note : I went with bactericidal after researching what CPC was, could also be described as either Germicidal or Disinfectant, but considering the context preferred bactericidal.

Also took me longer to realize it was のど for throat instead of での as combined particles :sweat_smile:

5 Likes
T

(For) Things such as colds, sore throat:
Sterilization ingredient CPC combination
Cetylpridinium chloride (hydrated oxide)

U

野外活動はハイキングなどが好きです。

4 Likes
translation

When you check the fridge there will be food inside and when you eat it your status (points?) will increase. Also, on the day Nanako went shopping she got ingredients for making bento and put them in the fridge. Now you can make bento which you will be able to eat with another character on the next day.

review

It looks like I forgot ことがある and messed up in how many times Nanako went shopping. I didn’t use if / when for my final sentence and used now since they are just one sentence in the Japanese version connected with て instead of separate sentences.

4 Likes
translation

Throat pain caused by a cold or something like it
sterilization ingredient CPC mixture

4 Likes

September 10th Translation

Notes :
ツライ has many meanings in Japanese, but most of the time it boils down to ‘to suffer’ (in some way). We chose the more natural ‘to be in pain/to be sore’ for this one, as we don’t usually use ‘suffer’ for body parts in English.

5 Likes

September 11th
みたいに・みたいな

Text :
フン。なんとも白湯みたいな飯だな…

5 Likes