Grinding reviews. Study technique

Hi everyone. I feel sometimes I am just grinding reviews, getting them wrong time after time until they eventually stick. I was wondering what other people do to learn? Would anyone recommend writing the example sentences down or anything?

1 Like

hi!
it depends, doh!, but seriously.

if it’s your thing, just right them down. some people learn better with a teacher or someone explaining them, check youtube then.

if you are good at with reading, go to almost endless options on the net. read topics, check example sentences.

i think only you can find the best technique for you. but i can suggest a few youtube channels;
coto academy
japanese ammo
miku real japanese
nami ohara
organic japanese (this one is kinda creepy and fcked up somehow but still a great value of infos)
puni puni japanese
yuko sensei
nihon no mori

i don’t know your level or your needs but throwing here and there some links maybe other people also could enjoy.

yet still, organic creeps me out.

have a great day!

5 Likes

I’m almost halfway through the N4 material and am in no hurry.

I enjoy the repetition of the reviews immensely and don’t write anything down or read many grammar explanations at all.

I add new material when my reviews are 80% or better.

I don’t worry about getting sentences wrong because I know they will eventually stick well.

I found Bunpro to be amazing when I first started, then like drudgery, and now it’s a joy again.

All of the sentences and their meanings eventually become intuitive for me and it’s through the SRS repetition that that happens over time. It would be no fun at all for me to read example sentence after example sentence of the same grammar point or write them down hoping to hammer them into my brain on a timetable that the brain isn’t ready for.

I think it’s much better to trust the review process, let the sentence structures and their meanings become second nature, and add new lessons whenever you feel you can handle more.

For me that number is 80% on the review summary.

One day, this entire body of example sentence N5 through N1, I will have nailed relatively pain-free.

5 Likes

I don’t know how about writing down, because I’m lazy and writing kanji is difficult (and writing in kana is cheating). Also, the point is to ‘get’ the grammar point. So I do more of the ‘reading up’ thing, haha. I enjoy reading manga and lately I’m trying to pay attention to what I’m reading at the moment. Kinda not only get the overall meaning, but break it down. See the grammar that’s in it. Sometimes I notice it just comes naturally (that’s when the reading is the most enjoyable). Sometimes I force myself to do it.

Also this exercise helps to get more context for grammar points AND see which grammar points are the most useful for you now at your current level. Because writers tend to have set patterns of speech and certain preffered vocabulary. So if you succesfully get throught the first 2-3 chapters, it becomes smoother and smoother after that.

Also also… Recognising grammar points is easier than using them. But at some point after you recognized the same thing over than 100500 times you ‘magically’ can use it. …is like that moment when you realized you don’t confuse ‘desu’ with ‘iru’ or ‘iru’ with ‘aru’.

PS Was my advice useless? I’m hope not. Because we are all here to not only do reviews but also use what we learn.

SO TL;DR use your Japanese outside of BunPro as much as possible. Make as many mistakes as possible on BunPro. It’s all practice. And practice makes perfect.

I knew a fair few basic grammar points before I found this site so I got into it pretty quickly, but when I got to some that I was unaware of or just a bit confused with I would write them down. Then I can refer to them when it comes up to see if I was right or just to get a little hint. I feel like it solidifies it in my head because I’ve thought about it a few times before I’ve input it so it kind of sticks a bit better. That could be just me though. So, I have a little note book with a few grammar points in that I can just have a nosy at when I need to!

1 Like

Trust the SRS and love your ghosts! If you get something wrong then you didn’t know, so you will see it more often until you do know it. Just keep on grinding!

1 Like