Guide for grammar useful in everyday conversation

I was studying for the JLPT N1 but was cancelled in my country due to Covid. At this point I would prefer to focus on useful everyday grammar but I am already at an upper-intermediate level. So any recommendation for intermediate/advance grammar points that are used frequently in everyday conversation?

3 Likes

I am not able to help you but I can throw a thought that maybe will be a hint to you - or not. It is probably more likely you will find “spoken grammar” in dramas, movies, visual and light novels than in structured resources. Maybe you should look there?

No clue, just an idea.:hugs:

1 Like

EDIT: I assumed you meant to practice the advanced grammar points. For learning them, i’d suggest bunpro :wink: )

So there’s slight contradiction in what you are looking for; N1 grammar is by and large not everyday grammar. Reading online newspapers would be a great source of N1 grammar practice (https://www.asahi.com; https://www.kyodonews.jp), and as for everyday conversation, as much as some people dislike it, Terrace House (available on Netflix) is very good as it is entirely unscripted; it’s as close to being in Japan and being exposed to real Japanese as possible without being in Japan.

Another suggestion would be put your phone, computer, netflix, basically any tech interfaces you own, into Japanese. This is also covers a lot of more technical and advanced grammar you’ll come across in the N1

2 Likes

Oh man watching Terrace house was always tough for me. It is Soooo slow but it certainly has it’s moments (Anyone recall the Chapel proposal? Big ooof) I agree that watching reality tv and dramas is a great way to find everyday grammar but, I was hoping to shortcut that and just get some recommendations on what grammar points you think would be good to review on bunpro.

1 Like

If there would be a short cut I would be fluent by now xDDDDD

If you find one let me know :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(that is not to be taken seriously. except last part :hugs:)

One word; rikopin.

1 Like

These are N2 and N1 grammar points that I think are pretty useful. In my opinion, most of these are points that I consider to be about equivalent to the average usefulness and commonness of N3 grammar points. For all of these points, I have good recollection of encountering them in my media, which consists of anime and J-Dramas. I’ve excluded all the ones I either haven’t done yet, find too formal, or too obvious to be useful studying. I’ll order it subjectively so that what I think you should focus on first comes first.

くらいならとはては・ちゃ・じゃ精々ろく(な・に) (note: BunPro only covers ろくに)、せめてどうせたってったら・ってばそうにない何しろなりに、一応 (1 and 2)、未だに何よりだけにあくまで(も)だのV[た]とたん(に)

There are plenty of others, but this should be good start for things to look over, if you haven’t already.

EDIT: Just to be clear, some of these are a bit formal, but still conversational. The more formal points are あくまでも、何より、V[た]とたん(に)、未だに, but I included them because they are often useful for either being politely self-deprecating, uplifting the other person, exposing fundamental ideas often used in other more advanced grammar points while still being relatively common itself, or having stronger emphasis than a simpler variant. (The reasons are in the exact order corresponding to the order I just listed them in this paragraph.) Hope it helps!

EDIT 2: Had the wrong あくまでも link. Fixed now.

8 Likes

Thanks so much!
I’ll try going through these first.

2 Likes

One thing if you don’t mind to be a little bit community oriented. if you find useful stuff that is not on bunpro but will help with native spoke language, then you can make a thread and keep giving there links.

Many people would benefit from that for sure. For example me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Spoilers omg! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

If you read about ancient history then I have spoiler for you as well: Roman empire will fall xD

1 Like

Ack, stop! I can’t handle all of this foretelling knowledge! :rofl:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say it is entirely unscripted but yes I started to watch terrace house too and I have learnt so many words which you would never learn from studying textbooks.

1 Like

意気地なし

1 Like

Aloha was the worst for me. Lauren Tsai is not Japanese, her Japanese is not good ( This was minus for me because I watch it for purpose of language practice). I think out of the initial 6 there was one full Japanese person born and raised in Japan (which for language practice native speaker are ideal) Even with this I try to watch. Episode two she speaks english instead of Japanese when confronting someone else in the house. I threw my hands up and was like I’m done.

Well, you still can extrapolate from that how bad your Japanese can be to be understood, so it is not totally useless exposure :hugs:

2 Likes

Got me there

1 Like

I recall her Japanese being pretty good considering her claimed time with the language. I remember asking native’s impressions and minus an expected accent, they thought she did really good too. If I could handle being on international syndicated reality show in Japanese, I probably don’t need to be using BunPro so respect to any Japanese learner who can get to that point.

4 Likes

Her Japanese is not terrible. I would prefer all native speaker just for the purpose of hearing the most correct Japanese possible. For the purpose of entertainment I would not mind. My real complaint is that she spoke english. Again because I watch for language learning purpose.

2 Likes

Well… I would not set our standards that low. Anything below original unedited works of Matsuo Bashō (1644 –1694) clearly can’t be consider good enough Japanese for us xD

You would have my respect if you would be able to do it in your native language. It is clearly off limit for me…

2 Likes