Guidelines for Feedback?

Hello! Since it’s my first post here: はじめまして!よろしくおねがいします!

I’m currently on my free trial and have been noting down various observations and comments; I may end up writing a (horribly long…) general feedback post once my trial ends. However, I also have a bunch of minor notes on particular things that wouldn’t fit a general feedback post. I would, therefore, like to ask whether there are any guidelines for providing feedback. Bunpro has plenty of ways to provide feedback, but perhaps some are more convenient/efficient for the staff (depending on type/scale of feedback)? For example, I could make a suggestion via a “bug report” button, in the pinned feedback thread or by making a new thread. I suppose it depends on how big/discussion-worthy the suggestion is?

I’ve also looked around a bit and found a couple of roadmap-type posts (“Future of Bunpro’s (missing) Grammar” and the yearly summary post); are there more such posts or something like a “Known issues” post that I might’ve missed? I wouldn’t want to be the 44th person to report a minor issue that’s already well-known by the staff. And I think there are some overhauls in the works, so maybe certain types of minor issues are simply because an item is actively being worked on. Should missing audio and such (missing nuance etc.) be reported (seems like something that would be automatically detected/known already)?

As for review sentences: those for grammar can be asked about in their individual Grammar Point threads, but is there a good place for discussing individual Vocab sentences? Sometimes I come across something that doesn’t seem right in reviews, but I don’t want to report “bugs” that are, in fact, my ignorance.

Perhaps it’s a bit of an overkill to make a whole post about this, but I thought I’d ask as I don’t want to 迷惑を掛ける while trying to 役に立つ! (I’m awfully nitpicky, I’d rather not shower the staff with unhelpful reports.)

On a side note: I can’t speak with much confidence (as I’m new here), but Bunpro seems like it actually cares about user feedback, big and small. Sometimes you see websites that proclaim “we listen to the userbase!”, but after a while you realize user feedback is diligently… kept in some very secure place, so secure, in fact, that nobody ever lays eyes on it. Bunpro, meanwhile, seems to work hard on addressing its shortcomings (helpful new features are apparently introduced quite frequently) and swiftly react to reports (I’ve reported a few typos and they were taken care of very quickly - once within less than half an hour!).

3 Likes

Hey there! First off, thank you for taking the time to write all of this out, and welcome to Bunpro! I’m sorry that nobody got back to you sooner!

We really do value user feedback and take it into account when improving or correcting the site.

As a general rule of thumb, here’s what I’d suggest:

  • Typos, missing audio, and clear errors: Feel free to use the report button directly. Even if something seems obvious or you suspect we’re already aware of it, there’s no harm in bringing it to our attention.
  • Grammar and vocabulary sentences: If something seems incorrect, unnatural, or confusing, you’re welcome to report it. We certainly don’t expect you to know whether something is an actual error before submitting a report! If you’re simply unsure about a particular usage, though, the Grammar Point threads or a forum discussion can also be good places to ask.
  • Larger suggestions or feature requests: The *Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request thread is generally a good place for these, particularly if it’s something other users might want to weigh in on.
  • Bugs or things on the site that are broken or not working right: You can submit feedback for these, or can use our dedicated Feedback - Bug Reports Thread.

As for general impressions, I’d actually be more than happy to read through your thoughts if you’d like to send me a DM! It’s always useful to hear from someone experiencing Bunpro with a fresh pair of eyes.

And please don’t worry too much about whether your feedback is worth submitting. We appreciate users taking the time to help us improve Bunpro, even if we don’t necessarily end up making every suggested change.

Thanks again for the thoughtful post, and I hope you’ve been enjoying your trial so far!

8 Likes

Thank you for the reply and the tips!

I certainly have been enjoying the trial, Bunpro made a really good impression. :slight_smile: The upcoming features seem very promising as well!