HannahEU's journey from barely aware to fluent: learning Japanese in 田舎 Japan!

I had a good social day this weekend! I went to yakitori :meat_on_bone: with some tenipon teammates and was initially worried about how well I’d survive with my Japanese, and it was a lot better than I thought it would be. We even got a bit into social issues in Japan, and I was surviving well enough!
I do have to say the power of alcohol to release my inhibitions was very helpful here. :wine_glass: I was more willing just to say something and hope for the best, rather than normally, where I’m thinking too hard, trying to say it correctly.
I also think this group of people does a good job of catching when I don’t know a word and explaining it in other ways I can understand.

I’ve recently been doing more shadowing practice with YouTube videos. It’s been a great way to see which words or grammar points I trip over or struggle with. I also get controlled practice working out my Japanese speaking muscles! :tongue:

I think a switch has been flipped recently, and I’ve been talking to myself more in Japanese, and even just thinking in it as well. :brain: It’s nothing complex, but for the simple things at least. It definitely gives me the impression that the language is settling in more. :tada:

5 Likes

Burnout hit, then Golden Week gave me the break I needed, so not a whole lot was going on since my last update.
I’ve been growing frustrated that I can’t communicate how I want to and haven’t for a long time. It’s hard not being able to express myself how I want to. It makes having deep relationships with anyone all the harder to do so loneliness was kicking my butt.
I’ve been anxious about getting into conversations I can’t keep up with, which would feed into the frustration, too.
“What if I don’t know how to respond?”
“What if they talk about something I don’t even know how to engage in?”
“What if they give up on the conversation altogether?”
“What if I sound like an idiot/a child?”

These kinds of worries have been circling my mind. Some got worse when I was in a group of people talking about green cards and immigration on a day I already had a low social battery. I could not engage at all and just sat there. Eventually, I had the hardest time focusing on even the smallest bit of what anyone was talking about.

But I’m feeling a bit better and am slowly getting back into the routine of things and figuring out how to give myself proper breaks!

5 Likes

I understand your pain and its something we all go through.
Seeing your current struggles, this is something I’ve gone through with as well with the ups and downs. For me, my main breakthrough as a non-native speaker, was to realize that as a non-native speaker that I will never sound native. The reality is that unless you grew up in JP with the idioms and cultural aspects of your generation, we will never fully fit in.
The barrier that I broke and accepted; was that I will never be a native level communicator.
Once you break it and take joy in every conversation (the good and the bad, and learn from every experience、だんだんだんだん), your headspace will be better.
This is probably not what you want to hear, but its a significant reality for the majority of learners.
Best wishes on your learning journey

Thank you for your comment! It’s great to hear how other people got through their struggles. I know that, at least where I’m at now, I won’t sound anywhere near native. I think it’s unrealistic to think that I’ll be able to handle the language like that so quickly while still learning the language. My focus should be on just using it and settling into it. Perfectionism does slow people down from progressing, since the desire is not to fail, but you have to to learn and grow.

Okay! It’s been a loooong while since my last update. My progression has slowed significantly. I got stuck on reviews and trying to bring them down so I could do lessons again without drowning in reviews.
I also had a lot of things happening in life in general that prevented me from really focusing on my studies. I’m back to desk warming, but the motivation has been low still. The heat is really not helping have energy for anything really. I haven’t really found a way around it but I’ve changed my study course.
I am going to continue on with my lessons because I find that a lot of the words it teaches me are ones I already know. Yesterdays lesson had 10 new words and only 3 of them i didn’t know. I’d rather progress on my lessons and get the information I already know out of the way.

If anyone has any advice on any of this I’m open to hear it! Also any ideas for practicing output? I’ve been frustrated by that lately since my opportunities to use it in conversations has gone down. So it feels like a weak point.

3 Likes

Output progress is super frustrating to really feel good about, in my opinion. Recently, I’ve tried having days/periods where I absolutely refuse to allow myself to use English unless its in a situation I’m required to. If I get stuck, I force myself to explain what I’m trying to say as best I can. Sometimes quite embarrassingly badly, admittedly. But I think I grow a lot from embarrassing myself like that in conversations.

On days where I’m not able to hangout with friends and practice, I actually resort to hopping on VRChat and join a JP world and force myself to chat. I want to avoid having any days where I don’t have a real conversation with someone in Japanese, so VRChat has been my output backup plan for a while now.

But I’ve noticed insane improvements from forcing myself to commit to meaningful output every day. I’ve just always felt frustrated with output, since its naturally always a fair bit behind my input comprehension. Probably important to step back and give ourselves props for our milestones more regularly, language acquisition is hard.

頑張ってね!

Regarding review pile-up, I’d consider whether going through decks where you can know 7/10 words in a random sample is the best thing to be concentrating on. A better way to get the information you know “out the way” is to not SRS it at all.

I’d be even more cautious about adding those 7 words to your review list at beginner stage if you’re using Bunpro (which I think it said in your initial post you were). Having lots of piled up reviews for lots of stuff you more or less should know (but might still make careless mistakes on due to burnout / overwhelm) is never going to be inviting. I’d potentially try comb the deck you’re in for the words you don’t know and consider that to be your learn queue.

If you do want to add the ‘known’ words in there for completism, I’d choose an SRS interval to set them to (eg. Seasoned 1, but whatever feels right). Anything you’re a bit unsure on will naturally fall back into the queue after failing, and you can send off the known known ones for good quite quickly.

Your output struggles are something I wholeheartedly relate to, not sure there are many easy answers other than dive into sink-or-swim majority / only Japanese social situations.

Just to frame things in another way, if you are encountering things that you already know, then that is a success to your immersion. I love days like that!

Hopefully a quick update here! :wave:t2:

I decided to register for the N3 JLPT and do the best I can until the test day comes around. I know I would do well on the N4 but I want to challenge myself. I know that even if I fail the N3, I would still be further ahead in my studies. Which in itself is a huge win!

I feel very confident about my listening abilities but know I could hugely benefit in focusing my efforts on kanji studies. That way I can read more and strengthen vocab and grammar. Plus with there being a reading section, it seems like a huge win all around.
I’ve turned my focus to WaniKani since I haven’t done much of anything with it in the last 3 months :sweat_smile: But when I did use it, it was easy to see that I was remembering well. I can already see the results of it from the last 2 weeks of consistent studying. I’m also using kanji flashcards and textbooks since I think wanikani’s pace isn’t gunna get me as far as I need to be. I reeeeally fell behind on WaniKani
I’m still using Bunpro and have been pretty consistent lately. I upped the amount study items per day so I can get what I need to into my reviews in time.

Things have been clicking better lately too. I’m remembering vocab better as I improve my kanji, and conversations around me are becoming more clear. Not as hazy.

I’m looking forward to the JLPT. It’s nice to have something to work towards and to have some pressure to keep me consistent!

Generally speaking I’m feeling more positive about my progression which is helping to push me further! Hopefully it stays around for a while!

6 Likes

Cheering for you! I love the motivation of aiming high to pay less, honestly one of the best ones out there lately. Seeing your update, you’re gonna do great. Keep at it!!

Man, it’s been a looooong time since I’ve updated.
I took the December N3 JLPT and while I passed every section, I missed the overall points required by 3 points. My scores in each section were literally 1 to 2 points away from each other so at least I know I’m learning in a well rounded way. I’m registering again for the N3 JLPT in July!
I haven’t been as studious in the last few months. But I’m getting back into the swing of things and have almost cleared my review mountain on Bunpro. WaniKani, on the other hand, is nowhere near handled. I’ve been using the Kanji app on my iPad for something a little more tactile to study kanji without just writing lines. Idk what it is, but it’s hard to get into the swing of studying kanji. When I’m in it, it’s great! I can make connections to other words and the essence of the kanji. Plus, reading gets easier since I’m not stopping as much. But when I’m not in it? idk it’s a grind.

Lately, words and grammar I’ve known for a while have been clicking in a new way. It’s a little hard to explain, but I honestly love when those moments happen because it feels like they’re settling into my brain more. That I’m able to get a better sense of the 雰囲気.
I’ve noticed my reading speed has gone up. It’s not great (see the kanji problem above) but it’s not as taxing trying to read a light novel or manga now.
Conversations are smoother too. I do have to stop still if I don’t know something but a good amount of time I can just wait it out and figure it out with context clues.

I can’t tell you when I last time I did a new lesson on Wanikani or Bunpro but I’m hoping to start a new one before the end of the month when desk-warming is in full swing!

That’s all I have for now. I’ll update again when I get the inspiration!

7 Likes

Out of curiosity, how far are you on Wanikani? And how was it on N3 kanji wise, did you have may that you did not know?

There were kanji I didn’t know on the JLPT. Specifically, when they were testing kanji knowledge. I’m only level 10 on Wanikani, but I’ve been studying kanji in other ways. Wanikani just helps me remember the onyomi and kunyomi readings better than other methods so far.

1 Like

for an alternative perspective, i took N3 around L40-ish and despite there technically being a few N3 list kanjis i hadn’t come across in the WK ordering, I felt way overprepared kanji wise.

the sweet spot will be somewhere in the middle, i think from the 20s onwards you’d be good kanji wise for N3

4 Likes

Hello hello everyone! 久しぶりですね。Let’s jump right into my not-so-short update!

Last time I updated, I found out I failed my December 2025 N3 JLPT attempt. So it’s pretty nice to update that I passed the N3 exam in July 2026! It wasn’t a strong score or anything, but a pass is a pass, right? It just means taking more time and putting more effort into prepping for N2 in Dec. 2027, which is exactly what I’m doing.

Here’s a quick layout of my general N2 goals/ plans (in order of importance):

  • Reach level 45 in WaniKani (with my pace, I think it’s possible by Dec 2027)
  • Read through all my borrowed books + more.
  • Daily Japanese writing and shadowing (using my Hobonichi Weeks to habit track/ make more rewarding)
  • Start using Anki daily in accordance with N2 vocab study books
  • Complete 3 N2 practice tests leading up to the test

Now let’s get into the details:

:bunpro_icon:Bunpro
Still not really doing any new lessons. I sometimes go in and check for grammar I’m already pretty familiar with and add it, but nothing where I sit down and learn something completely new.
I’m also trying a new method with BP. I’ve removed my vocab decks and decided to focus only on grammar here. It was pretty demotivating trying to go through endless reviews. So taking off that stress, I think, has helped me. But removing the vocab decks didn’t remove them from my reviews, so I have to specifically click to do the grammar reviews. I kinda wish there was a way to hibernate the vocab reviews. WK helped me feel more comfortable not doing a BP vocab deck, since I learn vocabulary from WK AND stronger because I have the kanji to help make connections with their meaning.

:crab:WaniKani:
Now my WK progress is completely different. I’ve been grinding that every single day, morning and night, since August 10th. I went from level 10 to level 15. I’ll be level 16 by Thursday or so. The Kakehashi app has helped me so much. In some ways, it gives the same information that WK does, but it feels like there’s so much more to do on that app! I love seeing my progress on the huge kanji grip heatmap, the level progress layout, and ALL of the extra study methods. The kanji writing practice, the word search, crossword, news articles, and music features are great! It feels so much nicer to play with the language like that. There are some little issues here and there, but I honestly think it’s so well made and really helps keep me motivated to study kanji. I’m on a 57-day streak with it now, and I don’t see that ending anytime soon. I plan to make it to level 22 or so by the end of the year.

:books:Reading:
After passing the N3, I knew reading was going to be my greatest asset to advancing in the language. N2 needs about double the vocabulary, after all. It would also help expose me to grammar organically. When I read, I feel like a lot more senses are involved, which should help create a stronger feeling around each grammar point, especially when the nuance between some can be so confusingly similar.
I also have a backlog of borrowed books to read. I plan on posting about it in the Book collector rehab (actually reading what you own accountability thread). I’m currently flipping back and forth between reading Slam Dunk at home and 魔女の宅急便 at work or while I’m out and have downtime. Reading is becoming increasingly more rewarding since I don’t have to stop to look up kanji readings or meanings.

:microphone: :spiral_notepad:Output:
This is another thing I want to focus on. I find that I can recognize lots of words if I see them written down, but I can’t seem to pull them easily from memory. So I want to start journalling in Japanese and do some shadowing to help with speaking output. I love Hobonichi, and along with my usual Weeks planner, I bought the A6 Techo Avec for the first time to give myself more room to journal. I’m hoping to write in Japanese daily. :notebook::writing_hand:t2:
I’m also thinking about finding a tutor for conversation practice and help because, dang, do I need it. In the past, I thought that I didn’t need to put money into that since there are so many Japanese people around me to talk to, but they’re not going to correct me if I can get enough meaning across or if they understand, even if it’s a bit unnatural. I need someone who is willing to be critical of my Japanese or create a structured practice session. At least with Japanese journaling, I can ask my English Club members to check my writing.

:wave:t2:That’s all for now:
If anyone has recommendations for reading, writing, or shadowing methods and resources, let me know! Also, feel free to share anything else you think could be helpful for someone who loves to see tangible progress as they study! OR if you have a fun way to study grammar besides anything I’ve mentioned, PLEASE share! I’m pulling teeth studying grammar! :weary:

Thanks for reading! Until next time…

12 Likes

Satori reader my friend, if you are pass N3 jump right into the difficult stories, you can try them out up to chapter 2 to have a feel and see if you want to spend money on it.
Secrets, the bartender and Fujiki consulting service are well liked difficult stories, in intermediate people mostly recommend Koibito and Kona’a big adventure.
Can’t tell you what they are worth, I am still a small N5 reading the beginners category haha but if you want really easy read, Summer and Kiki Mimi radio are fun!

2 Likes

Hey! Thank you for the advice! I’ve heard good things about Satori Reader and I’ve looked over it a couple of times. It looks like they have well-made stories. They had Yuyu’s Japanese podcast on there last I looked, which surprised me. I listen to him at least once a week!
I’m a bit hesitant to add another expensive subscription. I could convince myself with the fact that I don’t have to pay for Bunpro anymore (lifetime member woohoo!), but idk. 89$ a year?? Oof! I’m also not making USD, so it feels even more expensive.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing you over in the rehab thread! And gratz on the N3!

My reading practice is mostly manga (and, recently, a tiiiiiiny bit of a Japanese edition of a YA novel from my childhood) that I’ve picked up from bookoff/mercari, so I don’t know that I have any specific advice beyond “read the stuff you actually find interesting” like DGM perhaps.

The nice thing with manga, of course, is that it’s exposure to both kanji and the furigana that go with them. But it’s also less text-dense from a practice perspective, so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Echoing what @Ayara012 said, I think diving into native material and reading what you find interesting will be a great way to both boost your vocabulary/grammar understanding and keep you motivated.

For dedicated N2 reading prep, I think the 新完全マスター series is really good. In addition to a lot of different reading materials and questions, it also includes simplified summaries/overviews of each reading passage, as well as explanations on why answers are correct/incorrect. A lot more convenient than other resources where if you didn’t understand something or got it wrong you need to go try to find out why yourself.

1 Like

I recommend getting a library card. It’s free!
And you might find out about other resources like Japanese classes, or resume writing workshops.
Unlimited Japanese books, and then you only have 2 weeks to read them so you gotta power through them.