Having problems with Wanikani Sync

So I’m trying to get my Bunpro and Wanikani to play nice together so I can filter out the furigana for kanji that I already know. I put the API token into the corresponding box and turned Furigana to Wanikani but I’m still getting the unnecessary furigana. Have seen it three times now, for 家, 教室 and 食. Does anyone maybe have an idea of what the problem might be?

Edit:and just now saw 読む without any furigana even though I haven’t seen that one on WaniKani yet.
Edit 2: Was getting annoyed so I set the furigana setting back to ON and I’m still getting kanji (that I don’t know) without furigana.

I took a peak and it seems that your WK api key didn’t save. Would you mind checking on that for me? Also for 読 you have it marked as one of your “known kanji”. In general hiding a kanji will mark it known in your settings.

1 Like

This is going to sound stupid and might not be your problem, but when I copied the WK API by clicking it repeatedly it highlights and adds an extra space that Bunpro’s input box doesn’t like (it turns red if the key is invalid I think). Make sure there isn’t padding around the API key.

3 Likes

Yeah I deleted the API key to try to fix my problem. Probably should have left it up for tech support. I put it back. And I guess yeah, I do know 読む so probably forgot that I had saved it as known. Still having the problem though. 入る is giving me furigana.

Not a stupid idea at all. Doublechecked that and there were no extra spaces though.

One option is to clear the furigana stored in your local storage as that will force it get fresh data.

In Inspect under application and Local Storage, you can delete the “vocab” key and value and then refresh the page.

Feeling a little dumb here but I don’t know where that is located.

Is there any way to remove specific kanji from the known list if you can’t find an example with that word? I have a few things listed there in Local Storage that aren’t from WaniKani and are still there after deleting the key and refreshing. I was able to find some of them in an example, but I still have a few left (確認 specifically).

In Chrome, right click anywhere on the webpage and click “Inspect” (bottom option in the list). In the frame that opens up, “Application” will be something you can click on the top bar. From there you can select Local Storage on the left side bar.

Ohhh it’s a browser thing. I was looking in my BunPro settings…haha

Anyway, I mostly use Brave Browser and while I can Inspect, I’m not seeing anything for Application or Local Storage. I suppose I could try using a different browser.

Right now there isn’t a better way to manage known kanji, and more specifically vocab, is something we would like to implement but haven’t gotten around to.

@BionicZebra
It looks like Brave has the option. See my screenshot. Local storage would be browser specific so you will want to change it in the browser you are using.

Okay I found what you were referring to. Cleared the vocab key, refreshed, and started a cram session. But as you can see, I’m still having the issue. Bunpro is correctly not displaying the furigana for 見, but it IS showing the furigana for 画 and 白, both of which I’ve learned on Wanikani… Is that because of those being compound words with kanji I haven’t learned yet?

Yes known kanji are displayed without furigana only if you know all the kanji in the word.

2 Likes