Having trouble with conjunctive particles but/however/if

Hello,
As I’ve learned more grammar I’ve come across more synonyms, specifically, particles だが、が、けど、けれども. In reviews I’m expected to correctly identify which one is used and that’s where my trouble comes in. My understanding is that these are, at surface level, synonyms and can be used interchangeably, but their nuances are different. Similarly, I’m having trouble using たら and なら for “if/when”, but that seems a littler clearer to me and mostly a matter of practice.

Is there anything that could help me better understand when to use which one? Other than brute forcing it, which I could do but would prefer to understand it better.

2 Likes

Lately i’ve also had many issues with similar grammar points. They are often referred as synonyms but i wish they were somehow taught individually AND regrouped together with nuances on a same page somewhere.

Since last week i’m using ChatGPT to regroup them in sheets and highlight differences. I still have trouble but i feel like it helped. The main issue is that it’s an expensive thing to do but arguably you can just do it manually it would just require more time and more research which is not a complete waste because as you do it you also learn.