How do I get Bunpro to actually recognize mistakes?

Not sure if this is a really silly question, but I can’t seem to figure it out. I’ve made a few genuine errors while doing reviews. When that happens, Bunpro stops me, I hit backspace and try again – sometimes a few times – and eventually I figure it out and get a “good job!”

But… in the post-review summary screen, that seems to count as “100% correct.” That’s not really what I want from an SRS application – I don’t want to advance in SRS level on the more difficult points until I’ve internalized them and have them downpat!

Is this just how Bunpro works? Am I missing something? I think a few times Bunpro has recognized that I’ve committed errors – is backspacing treated as some kind of undo? That seems like incredibly confusing UX if so.

4 Likes

Hey! Thank you for reaching out. Backspace undoes the error and lets you make another attempt.

If you get a sentence wrong, you can continue to the next one. Once you are at the end of your review session, you will be shown the ones you got wrong again and have another try to answer them. At this point though, the first wrong attempt will be preserved and they will be marked as incorrect.

9 Likes

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply! That makes sense to me.

Not sure if feedback is helpful, but from a first-time user perspective I do wish it were a little harder to do the wrong thing (that is, to accidentally undo and mark the answer as correct when I made a genuine error that should prevent me from advancing in SRS level). I just noticed another topic from a week or so back about the same issue, so I might not be alone here.

3 Likes

The system as it stands now relies on the honor system if you made an actual mistake versus a simple typo. I think that, as you continue, you’ll realize this is the preferable option. I would hate to lose out on going up a SRS level because, even though I understand the grammar point extremely well, I was typing too fast and typed も instead of の and thus missed out on what may have been months of studying.

3 Likes

For sure! I really appreciate that the option to do this exists. (I make typos often, and I similarly love that the unofficial Wanikani Android app lets you undo them, for example.) My feedback is that it’s quite unclear how not to perform an undo and to accept the answer as a mistake. There’s no feedback in the UI that says “press enter to accept the error, or hit backspace to undo.” There’s no feedback that there’s any distinction between these two different possible ways to proceed, other than the fact that one lets you correct your error right away and the other lets you correct it at the end of your review pile. (Even the button labelled “oops” could probably stand to be more clearly and unambiguously labelled, in my opinion.) The OP in the other topic I linked seems to share the confusion about the UX here.

6 Likes

Sometimes, when I get the right answer thanks to Bunpro’s hint safety net, I’ll backspace to undo, then submit an intentionally wrong answer so that it’s marked wrong because I know I need more practice with it.

That said, I love the hint safety net, and there’s plenty of times I’ll take the advice and move on with it marked correctly.

3 Likes

I disagree. If anything backspace as an undo tool is a little ambiguous. There’s nothing in the UI that would indicate that backspace is a shortcut for the “OOPS!” button.

Coming from other SRS programs, backspace as an undo tool has basically become the industry standard – with the enter-key or “NEXT” button operating as the confirm answer function. With how complex Japanese verb conjugation gets (sometimes even 8 or more もら), I often make a slight mistake in typing out what I know is the right answer. Undo as a keyboard shortcut is essential, and I’d hate to only have that functionality as a button on the UI.

1 Like

personally, I greatly appreciate the fact you can undo an answer, it keeps me more motivated (especially with a bad keyboard that will miss letters, ocassionally.) compared to WK where I could potentially get a leech just from the lack of working keyboard o slight typo leading to me having to answer the word 4-5 more times before I burn/clear it, this method reduces the frustration on my end a ton.

I do agree that maybe add a prompt for the first few lessons, however it came naturally to me as I tried to hit backsace instinctually and it let me try again until i got the right answer. so it may not really be required.

1 Like