How do I stop reviews at nighttime

Is there a way to stop reviews popping up when I’m asleep? I wake up with 30-40 reviews to do because they pile up during the night, I have the same problem with wanikani and I don’t know how to stop it.
I did select my own timezone but reviews still come up at 2 am and such.

I think this is something we learn to live with.
I always wake up to roughly 100 wanikani reviews and 12-25 Bunpro reviews.

Both here and on wanikani, the “Wrap Up” function is very useful to take the pressure off these morning sessions. I do -for instance- 20 wanikani reviews and then press “wrap up”. Then I go make some coffee. Then -say- 10 bunpro reviews. Etc. The “wrap up” button (or even just force finishing) when review piles are large has been a life saver for me. It gave me back control over my life. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I completely agree with this. Spread them out over the morning a little bit—especially if there aren’t a lot more just about to accumulate.

Otherwise, just pace yourself on lessons!

3 Likes

Your brain doesn’t stop forgetting at night :wink:

6 Likes

Exactly, and this is also why any vacation mode or freezing of reviews in any SRS app should be avoided if possible. I get that it can be annoying when reviews pile up while you don’t have the time or motivation to tackle them (like during vacation or when you have different responsibilities) but your brain doesn’t stop forgetting when you’re busy.

Two recommendations:

1. Don’t stress too much about reviews piling up a bit. You don’t need to go through them all at once. Especially those items with longer intervals don’t need to be reviewed right away when the algorithm schedules them. A few hours or days later is fine. Very fresh items with short intervals are more time sensitive though, so if you feel like letting them rest for a few hours hinders your ability to recall them you should:

2. Moderate how many items you add to the SRS rather than try to fix how many items the system spits out later. The algorithm is supposed to quiz you on an item right before you are about to forget it, for maximum efficiency. If you can’t keep up with the rate of reviews you should slow down how many items you add to space them out over a longer time period.

4 Likes

You’re not being graded on this. Relax. Give yourself permission to leave some reviews for later. Now you’re in control of your schedule. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also another important thing, apart from the first 4 and 8 hour srs interval, all srs intervals are the length of multiples of days. If you always do your lessons in the morning, you’ll have barely any items at night (apart from those that you get wrong a lot).

1 Like