How do we know when to "Level-up"?

I like that you get to choose how many items you prefer to study and I’ve finally gotten through all N5 lessons after a couple of months (the last few within the last week).

Is there some sort of indicator of when you can move on without getting too overwhelmed by new lessons?

I came here from wanikani and I like how the lessons are given to you automatically and you only have to worry about your reviews (and new lessons when they are given to you).

Really loving it so far though!

At the moment, it’s kind of a “do what works for you” sort of method with the site. If you start to feel overwhelmed, then slow down. If you’re feeling really strong, you could add more.

Though I wouldn’t mind if perhaps in the future, some sort of additional “gaming” system like WK was implemented here. Especially for those who are inexperienced or need more guidance.

Welcome btw :slight_smile:

First of all welcome on community forums :grin: And congratulations for completing N5 course!!! :ok_hand:

Ok, coming back to question:
My opinion is that you should be consistent in learning and nothing more. Instead of thinking that is too hard, that might not be on my level, just do 1 new lesson(or let’s say 2/3) every day. Just do not go overboard, like @conan says, because when overwhelmed people tend to stop and give up.

That’s why you should try “study” mode.

If you won’t consistently learn, there is chance that you will stop on current level and not learning something new for a long time.

I keep a close watch on my previous 24hr summary page. I like my accuracy numbers to be around 80% before adding new items.

I zipped through N5 and have only completed a little over 1/4 of N4, but that’s okay.

I know that even if I don’t get to add new items on the days my accuracy is sub-80%, I remain positive because I’m still learning and moving forward in my Japanese writing capability just by doing my scheduled reviews and cementing my knowledge further that way until my accuracy improves and I’m ready for new material.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Yea - I actually signed up after study mode was implemented so I don’t even think I’m familiar with how the “Lessons” section works. I guess it looks like you manually add those lessons to the review queue one by one - I definitely prefer the more automated study mode.

One last question - If I change to N4 in my account settings, will I still get the N5 reviews? Or will changing my level to N4 clean act as if I’ve “burned” my N5s? This is the reason I was hesitant even though now I’m pretty confident in my N5 skills, it wouldn’t matter either way.

Yes! You will still be reviewing the material you have learned earlier. :smile:

1 Like