How is “ゆっくり” onomatopoeic?

As I think it is with most Japanese language learners, I find onomatopoeic words to be some of the most fun to learn (and usually easy to memorize, but then occasionally difficult).

I just came across this in the nuance hint in a quiz, that ゆっくり is actually an onomatopoeic word… someone please tell me what that’s the sound of?

2 Likes

Strictly speaking, onomatopoeia only refers to words that describe a sound, but in reality all types of mimetic expressions are sometimes grouped together under this term. Especially in Japanese learning resources. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Usually even mimetic words are ultimately derived from something that kinda sorta sounds like something, so I was hoping to hear something along those lines, because I couldn’t find anything myself.

This is a pretty fun article, though: Japanese Onomatopoeia: The Guide

1 Like

I did a bit of googling, and believe this might be the answer you’re looking for

語源 [ゆくら]が、[接中辞] [っ]により強調されたもの。

E.g. ゆっくり is a strengthening of ゆくら,

Another google shows ゆくら is generally something swaying.

So, in my head I’m picturing a tree swaying slowing in the wind - which works quite well for slowly for my mental picture at least.

https://ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/ゆっくり

12 Likes

I love it; thanks for the assist!

2 Likes

May or may not be interesting. But ゆ in general in kun-yomi readings tends to indicate slackness/flexibility/loss of rigidity.

緩む loosen、許す allow、揺れる shake、ゆとり leeway、譲る defer、歪む warp、茹でる soften vegetables through boiling.

18 Likes

yeah this is the good stuff I lurk around for, keep it coming Asher.
I find this angle incredibly interesting and useful for trying to remember things about words, as just wrote learning and SRS are terrible for me for vocab

3 Likes

This is great. Is this kind of information in the *onomatopoeia” deck?

1 Like

Unfortunately not, as things like this have no basis apart from my own observations. I have always been very vocal about kana having deeper meanings throughout the language as a whole, not just limited to onomatopoeia, but I do not recommend anyone else adopting this assumption without some serious research of their own.

If I am wrong, then I am wrong, but I don’t want to make other people wrong too if my conclusions are incorrect.

The stuff that is in the onomatopoeia deck are the commonly agreed upon ‘feelings’ of kana, with a tiny bit of descriptive liberty.

5 Likes

Understood.

Perhaps there is a link via man’yōgana…

1 Like

That’s incredibly useful!

The Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series has an appendix on sound symbolism at the beginning of their Basic dictionary, with a very strong recommendation along the lines of “try to understand how this works early in your Japanese learning”.

While they don’t describe ゆ as thoroughly Asher has, they do describe the semi-vowel [y] in general as representing weakness, slowness or softness. Eg:

よいよい (Loss of reflexes/ataxia)、ゆらゆら(Swaying - like waves)、やんわり(Softly)、よぼよぼ(Senile).

5 Likes