How many grammar points to learn per day?

How many grammar points should I learn per day? 1? 5?

1 Like

When asking for Japanese learning advice I’d recommend mentioning how much you know already, what you are doing besides Bunpro and how much time you are planning to spend on Japanese learning.

But in a vacuum if you’d want to learn everything except for the N1 stuff on Bunpro you’d need to learn 111+178+219+210 = 718 items. If you learn 2 new items every day, you’d get through all those within a year. That is probably more grammar than you’ll ever need to learn from things like Bunpro or textbooks. And when going on the grand journey of learning Japanese a year isn’t that long really.

So I’d recommend 2 items a day. Be sure to also spend some time reading Japanese stuff every day as well. In case you are a beginner it will be very hard but very much worth it.

6 Likes

Personally, I take on new grammar points sporadically. Only you can know what is right for you.

2 Likes

I’m studying for the N3. I’ve finished Genki 1/2 already.
2 items a day is just right. Thanks for your reply!

2 Likes

Be careful to not burn ourself out. From time to time let daily review count be an indicator. Eg if your daily reviews are getting bellow 30ish, add new grammar points.

Also over time, I would suggest spending more time reading in Japanese as much as possible. It will really help during the JLPT exams. There are books for kids from Tsubasa Bunko (角川つばさ文庫) which have furiga on everything and simplified vocab / grammar, eg your name : https://bookwalker.jp/de7e96e5a2-3883-4677-81ed-abb08f8c5203/

Actually Bookwalker / Booklive or eBookJapan are great as you can read samples of nearly everything there and they have some volumes for free (from time to time).

Apart from that do what works for you!

4 Likes

Given the two a day, I’d actually suggest three a day, with larger breaks between sections. I usually need some time to go back and go over the grammar points again to really cement them, be it through literature about the grammar, or by reading books etc.

2 Likes

Genki 1 and 2 can be found under paths in Bunpro. Since you’ve already learned those points I’d recommend adding 5-10 a day of those first to futher consolidate them and highlight what N4 and N5 grammar points you haven’t learned yet.

Also once again, I really recommend spending at least half your Japanese learning time on immersion, preferably reading.

If understanding what you are reading is important to you than I’d recommend looking into Graded Readers or children’s books. Reading the things you actually like is another option if lower comprehension doesn’t bother you too much, but if you do, read from an e-reader or pc so that you can quickly look up all the words you don’t know yet in a dictionary.

4 Likes

I see others have already chipped in their thoughts, just thought I’d add mine. Early on I learned the hard way by taking on too many grammar points at once. I never dug myself out and did a reset. Since then, I choose 10 grammar points per week, that way I have time to do more studying for the new points if needed and ensures you never get bogged down but still make steady progress.
I understand that for the N4 and N5 points, they may be pretty quick to learn, but by N3 each point can be a bit more complex than you first think. Hope this helps!

5 Likes