How many levels in low SRS

I am wondering how many levels I should have in a low SRS stage to make it more doable to learn everything. (Thinking like apprentice in WaniKani). There looks like I can have as many as I want, but I fear it will burn me out if I add to many to quickly.

4 Likes

Maybe 25 or so, since it takes longer to read sentences than single words (WK’s generally-recommended 100÷4), and you’ll likely have some Ghost Reviews in the mix that add a little bit to your review pile as well. Or, maybe something closer to 50 if you feel really dedicated; I usually had ~200 Apprentice items on WK on my way to 60 there, and I definitely had more than 25 low-level SRS items in 文プロ while I was actively unlocking everything.

7 Likes

What is it consider a “low” level SRS?

4 Likes

Less than two days between reviews :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Everything that’s at/below 3 (or 4?) in the “streaks” chart on your stats page.

I never paid close attention to this count, but if you ever feel overwhelmed by reviews (and it’s not because of a long abscence), it’s because you have too many items kicking around in the frequently-reviewed SRS levels.

3 Likes

I never paid close attention to this count, but if you ever feel overwhelmed by reviews (and it’s not because of a long abscence), it’s because you have too many items kicking around in the frequently-reviewed SRS levels.

Agreed. I use number of reviews to determine when to add a new grammar point. I look on @Kumi 's planner script to see how many reviews I’ll get in the future, and ask myself “Am I willing to do this number, plus 3/6/however many grammar points I’ll add”? If I feel like I’m already pushing my limits, the answer is no, but if I feel like I could realistically handle a few more reviews a day I’d add them.

3 Likes

Actually, that’s not my script :eyes:

4 Likes

How do I tell how many items are in each bucket? I see this right on the main splash screen in Wanikani, but it seems less obvious in Bunpro.

As I get more involved, I see the need to regulate my workload and there are a few items that need more attention than others. I feel that compared to Wanikani it might be better to regulate the mastery of some points before introducing others since they are more implicitly linked than vocab.

2 Likes

After you click BunPro logo, click stats, and scroll down.

You’ll see a pie chart on the left and this WK-robotics-like bar chart on the right.

I like BP bucket more than WK for clarity reason, but I prefer to have this bar chart on my profile actually so no need to click stats first then scroll down. And I’m on iPad right now so using userscripts is not an option.

On WK, it’s unclear how many each and each in which bucket (srs), unless I use my Android phone and then open Firefox where there’s tampermonkey and seanblue’s script to see how many Apprentice 2, or 3, or Guru 1.

But yeah on WK this number is just there on Home dashboard without having to click stats and scroll down. I always reflect and see this number and read my “time” situation before I add lessons in any srs apps I use. I won’t talk about “time” because I use completely different time concept but for the sake of simplicity I’ll just translate it as “plan”.

3 Likes

Thank you! This is a very helpful answer - I understand the significance of the stats page much more by spending a little time there.

1 Like