How much English do you show and why?🤠

Initially I thought maybe writing in the English equivalent would be good…

Yeah, I had the same thought. The main problem that occurred to me is there can be many different ways of expressing any given Japanese in English (and vice versa). It’s almost a game of whack-a-mole to try and capture all the ways something could be translated. It would likely be a heavy burden for the editors. If you have any experience with Duo, you’ll know how difficult (and at times, frustrating) this approach can be.

But multiple choice has its own problems too, not the least of which is that it gives you too much information. It’s better for recall if you’re able to remember unaided. But your suggestion of having to first press a button to see the choices would help with that. You could even give the user the option to explicitly fail the question if the answer they had in mind isn’t one of the choices presented (thus indicating it was not remembered correctly).

1 Like

Okay, here is my review of each setting based on my experience and your feedback:

Hide: Too little information, in many cases there is no way to arrive at the answer without revealing more

Hint: Gives enough to get the answer without translating the rest of the sentence, but one could answer correctly without reading the rest of the sentence outside of the preceding and following words. This is an inherent issue with the platform that I will address further on

Show: Very similar to “Hint”, but includes the translation for the rest of the sentence. For those who read every sentence fully, this setting would give you less reading practice than “Hint”

More: The same setting as “Show”, but with the nuance (explained in the next section below) included. This is the easiest and most training wheels-y setting, and gives all of the possible quiz information. Similar to “Hint” in that you can answer correctly without fully reading the sentence, and similar to “Show” in that you don’t need to read the rest of the sentence in Japanese. The nuance helps determine which grammar point is the right one among similar possible answers

Always Show Nuance: This is the most different and interesting setting by far. For grammar points with nuances, it shows generally what the grammar point is trying to get at, as well as subtleties that would differentiate it from like grammar points. I like this setting a lot. For one, it’s not poorly translating Japanese to English like the hint is. In many cases, it also doesn’t give the answer away without requiring you to read any Japanese. Finally, it helps guide you towards specific grammar points rather than entering a different correct guess that gets soft rejected. I think that the platform should move more towards this as the default, but many grammar points don’t even have a nuance entry, and thus are the equivalent of “Hide” with this setting, which as I said, makes most questions impossible to answer without revealing more info. I’d love to see Bunpro add nuances to everything to make this setting more legit, and if this is the way to go, maybe refine it more to maximize not giving away too much while at the same time better helping you arrive at the answer. I feel like the more vague words dancing around the right answer the better. If I just see “if” in a hint, I’m going to type “もし” in a 1:1 math like translation without reading anything else. If I get very general hints about what the answer is trying to convey (meaning, politeness, spoken/written, emphasis, ect.), I’ll read the rest of the sentence and find the right key to make it work as intended, and will have a better understanding of the grammar point’s nuance going forward, instead of associating it with an English “equivalent”

Do other people agree that the nuance is the way to the promised land?

5 Likes