How much English do you show and why?šŸ¤ 

I have no strong feelings yet on which of the many English settings helps me learn best, in the past I have swung all the way on each side and everything in between. What do you have it set to and why is it the best way to use Bunpro?

1 Like

When Iā€™m learning new grammar, I turn off all the English when I read example sentences. Then I read each sentence and check the English of that sentence, one by one. When Iā€™m reviewing, I just leave the English on. It can be so difficult to remember which specific grammar point answers the question that I need all the help I can get!

3 Likes

Likewise with @Brand_S, I initially turn off all English when reading example sentences while learning new grammar. This lets me focus on how mind processes the grammar without the English sentence kind of leading my initial guess. However, I turn off English for grammar reviews as well to see if I can figure it out, and then use hints later when i canā€™t

2 Likes

I start with no english, try to read and understand the full sentence, then try to understand which grammar point might be relevant. But as there can be many options, I just guess sometimes. If I get it wrong, I back up and check the hint and try again assuming there were multiple valid options. This is mostly how I do it.

Other times when I just am too tired or just ā€˜mehā€™. I just show the hint and get on with it. At this point, if i get it wrong for any reason - I dont correct it and accept my fate.

2 Likes

I have to be honest, I use English all the time and then check the Japanese after remembering the grammar point to make sure I have the conjugation correct. :sweat_smile:

I mostly just want to remember the corresponding grammar in English at this point. When I wind up finishing everything on the site I intend to switch it off and just do it purely in Japanese.

1 Like

Started with orange english nuance always shown on day 1 and have kept it the same after 450 days, donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever change it. I donā€™t have the time (nor really want to tbh) to sit without nuance/hint of what itā€™s asking at this point in my studies because sometimes thatā€™s a downright impossible task. Not exactly 1 to 1, but itā€™s almost the same as taking away a word or two from an english sentence and then trying to parse together what was supposed to go in there after. Sometimes the nuance will slightly give away what the overall sentence (or at least one chunk of it) is implying but thatā€™s a trade-off I am 10000000000000% fine with.

To each their own, but I think nuance on seems to be a really common thing around here. Read/attempt to understand the sentence, enter the answer, then show english afterwards if you need it.

7 Likes

Generally only show the hint, however some of the higher level grammar points are a pain in the ass and I need more English information or just need the answer.

4 Likes

I use this setting. Itā€™s too hard, or impossible, to guess the answer without any hint, and sometimes the translation throws me off because different sentences use different translations. That said, Iā€™ll hit the space bar once if I still need help.

4 Likes

yeah i tried to do some cram sessions just now without any english and LOL that was genuinely painful, hats off to any of you who actually do their studies like that though.

1 Like

I have it on the hint setting :slight_smile:
Iā€™m very dumb and have nothing to prove! >:)

2 Likes

I have nuance shown. I used to go all in on English, but then realised I was reading that more than I was the actual Japanese and effectively shooting myself in the foot. That being said, if Iā€™m really mega stumped Iā€™ll bite the bullet (the one I shot myself in the foot with!) and take a peek at the sentence, but half the time I prefer to just let myself bugger it up. In the name of learning.

2 Likes

I have hidden Japanese and English on example sentences. While studying new grammar, at first I click Play and listen audio. Only if I donā€™t understand it by ear, I click Show Japanese. And in case I still donā€™t get it I click Show English.
When there wasnā€™t this feature, I just read Japanese and right then English and thought like ā€œoh, I get itā€ while actually not quite.

I had turned on the ā€œAlways Show Nuanceā€ option for reviews for quite a long time, a year or two I guess, because I had a really hard time dealing with just an English sentence on the early stage for a year or something. But then I realized it actually hinders me because I can enter a correct answer even without reading a Japanese sentence, just looking on English and orange nuance thing. Now I have selected the ā€œHintā€ option for half a year I guess. If I donā€™t have any clue, I just hit Space to see English and sometimes an orange nuance if thereā€™s any.

1 Like

I keep the hint on to try to force me to read the sentence and understand the sentence and why the grammar is used. Unfortunately what actually ends up happening is when i move to the next question i just press space so the whole sentence shows up and i dont bother trying to translate

2 Likes

Since I started using Bunpro (about a year ago) Iā€™ve used it with the English hint on by default. I would also have the English sentence translation on by default, but changed to to be hidden somewhere in the first few months. Looking at some of the responses here, I noticed that a lot of people review it with the ā€œalways show nuanceā€ on instead of hint, so I gave it a shot and I like it so far. It helps when there is less English showing by default.

3 Likes

Ok I was curious so I tried nuance for a couple reviews and I donā€™t get it. It just doesnā€™t show anything at all? I thought the nuance was the yellow bit that sometimes shows up when you use the wrong form to kind of put you on track. Did I do something wrong or are you guys really just solving these lessons completely blind??? If so hats off but that really isnā€™t for me. I like my blue hints :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Turns out I thought it was called nuance, but it was just hint. I think I got the names mixed up, especially after I did the nuance setting once and, like you, didnā€™t understand the difference. I think it shows nothing unless thereā€™s orange nuance and then itā€™ll only show that?

Dunno, but Iā€™m a blut hint boi 4 life.

2 Likes

A lot of them really are impossible without the hint. Gonna see how long I can go without hints on by default, but I still have to give in a lot of the time.

1 Like

The nuance doesnā€™t show up on everyone, but a lot are impossible without the hint regardless. Anyone who is claiming to solve them blindly the first time is homies with Pinocchio.

2 Likes

When reviewing grammar points, I use the Always Show Nuance setting. This only shows the orange text. The (vast) majority of the time, I hit the spacebar once to get the English hint.

One of the potential problems in not trying to answer with the hint and nuance is that you might find yourself memorizing the sentence instead of learning how to express the given English in Japanese. I had previously noticed this problem creeping up for me when doing cloze cards in Anki. Iā€™d find myself remembering the word(s) based entirely on the visual cue of the sentence (i.e. the image of the sentence, as opposed to the meaning of the words). When I encountered the same words in real world Japanese I couldnā€™t remember the meaning because the visual cues were gone. (Obviously, this problem exists to some extent with any visual-based learning system; all we can do is try to mitigate it.)

When I do grammar point review now, I actually donā€™t read the Japanese sentence unless I need a contextual hint as to what the right Japanese equivalent is for the given English expression Bunpro prompts for.

Incidentally, this does bring up one of the core weaknesses Iā€™ve identified with Bunpro: itā€™s strongly oriented toward English ā†’ Japanese thinking. I wish there was some kind of system for reviewing things in a Japanese-first orientation. Perhaps a system where youā€™re presented the grammar point and you have to choose the correct English meaning?

As it stands right now, I have to supplement study on Bunpro with Anki cards by drilling the Japanese and then testing myself to remember the English.

2 Likes

I think this would be something that might not be too hard to implement, and can get chucked into Cram or wherever. Initially I thought maybe writing in the English equivalent would be good, but I like the idea of a series of 3-4 optional answers to choose from. Or, could just do it similar to how flashcards are now where it shows the Japanese and then after hitting some key, the answer pops up afterwards. Who knows :man_shrugging: but Iā€™ve thought about this too before and like where your mind is going.

3 Likes