How to Change ALL Vocab Reviews to Fill-in-the-Blank Sentences

Having heard people get excited about the relatively new fill-in-the-blank type of reviews for vocab, I decided to try and give it a go.

I changed the review type to this on the “review settings”.
Then I also went through each of the N5-N1 vocab decks individually and changed them all to this type.
What I have ended up with is a hotchpotch of many of the previous style (just translating a Japanese word and translating it into English) but with some of the newer type of review thrown in, with no discernible pattern.

So does anyone know how to actually get all vocab reviews to be of the fill-in-the-blank sentences type, or failing that, a foolproof way to change everything back so reviews are definitely all of the other type?

I wonder if anyone actually wants to have different types of reviews for different JLPT N-levels of vocab?
Personally, I would prefer if there were a “master” setting for all vocab reviews (and a separate one for grammar) so that you don’t end up jumping between all the different types when trying to do reviews.

2 Likes

Unless something got messed up in the process, I think your settings are good.
Mine were always set to default (fill in / manual answer) in both the review tab and decks options, and it works as expected.

I’ve noticed some words have no sentences to fill in, like 水族館 or 蛇, in wich case you can only translate to English, so that might be the cause of your hotchpotch.

I think it’s a good idea to let us choose how we want to review each deck, but I also find the process a bit clumsy. Like why is there a main setting and also one for each deck ? And the “deck options” is kind of buried deep.

3 Likes

As of now, only N3, N4, and N5 have “Cloze” (Fill in Japanese from sentence). Like @LagonKa said, they only have sentences for some words and decks and I believe no translations from N2 or N1 yet. They are doing N2 now so it might not be for a while that they have the others in. HTH!

2 Likes

Thanks, both!

I had it in my mind that cloze had been completed for all N-levels, but when I checked back on the recent update linked below, I guess it means that example sentences have been written but cloze isn’t necessarily available:

Thanks again!

4 Likes

The hotchpotch is way more noticeable when you study from a textbook-based Deck, as they use words from all over the N-spectrum.

I guess it means that example sentences have been written but cloze isn’t necessarily available

Yeah unfortunately there is a lil delay between when the sentences get released, and when the cloze questions get released.
Creates a bit of confusion.

2 Likes

OK, thanks!
So I’ll hold tight for now and look out for any announcements about further releases of cloze in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes