How to develop Japanese talking skills?

I know, the best way is to move to Japan and talk to native speakers :slight_smile:

Let’s assume that there is no chance to talk to native speaker, is there any solution to develop talking? Doing written exercises won’t help that much. The only idea that comes to my mind - read small dialogs and remember them by heart like a poem.

Any other idea, tricks?

4 Likes

I need to develop my talking skills too xD
I’m planning to do some shadowing (basically : listening something, and trying to repeat with the best accent possible to match the voice actor). It’s a great way to improve our accent in general in every language.

Perhaps you can try to record yourself on your phone about anything (thinking out loud) and then listening the tape to judge yourself ?

Or join a discord (If you play some MMO, there is probably a FFXIV japanese discord somewhere …)

You also have apps like ITalki and things like that, but I never tried those :smiley:

3 Likes

If speaking with natives on iTalki or VRchat (or similar) is not an option then the best way is to start thinking in Japanese. I have a habit of making up imaginary scenarios in my head before sleep for example. You could create some inner dialogue in Japanese. I have done this with English to the point that thinking in English feels like native. Anyway, the downside is that there will be noone to correct you, but I guess when learning to talk as a beginner it’s more important to be able to quickly remember useful words and hone your active vocab than worry about perfect grammar. This can come later.

Also, a lot of input will passively improve your speaking (though that takes a lot of time judging by my experience).

4 Likes

As far as the accent and pronunciation part of speaking practice, I would assume someone could get a lot use from looking at the methods used in making someone better at speaking a language they already know. Voice coaches, dialect coaches and speach therapists etc will have already had to come up with means of practicing changing the way one speaks.

I know for example I’ve heard of the use of “Anchor phrases” in the context of movie accents, which is essentially a phrase someone memorises and uses as reminder to help them get back into the accent they’re acting in. Another one that comes to mind is the use of tongue twisters in training for voice acting and annoucing jobs. A phrase like 東京特許許可局 represents a concentrated version of particularly difficulties a given language presents and so is likely a more focused way of practicing.

2 Likes

Meet people on HelloTalk, or similar platform. There’s really no excuse not to be able to speak to Japanese people in the era of the Internet, where we have access to basically the world in an instant. That’s literally the best way without living in Japan.

7 Likes

If you’ve got the money, iTalki.
If not, HelloTalk.

I remember reading a good guide on how to have better structured conversations on Tofugu’s site, but can’t find on a quick search and I’m supposed to be in the middle of doing my Kitsun reviews, lol.

3rd option, try and find some native speakers in your vacinity. Go to a local Japanese restaurant and mention that you’re learning Japanese. Bit of a long shot, but you never know. You’re bound to get a 日本語お上手ですね no matter what…

2 Likes

Free HelloTalk is worthless if you don’t set your native language as English. And with the recent changes to visibility it seems even worse.

• not speaking expert *

I think listening to podcasts is probably the best way. You find yourself repeating things you find funny or interesting in your head even if they are just short phrases.

Also it is not as much of a “chore” as shadowing and other stuff. Obviously some combination of reading, listening and actually speaking is perfect, but honestly just listening really makes you think in Japanese more often.

If you think you are at a level where you should be capable of speaking but struggle with confidence etc iTalki lessons are very useful. Forcing yourself to speak for an hour helps you to understand where your weak points are in terms of grammar, conjugation, everyday vocabulary etc.

I have tried both hellotalk and tandem and find that it is very difficult to find a (consistent) language partner to actually speak with (instead of texting) at least weekly and also the language parties etc usually end up being filled with native speakers having their own conversation (which is difficult to join in with unless you are quite a high level) or people that seem to have literally started learning japanese that day. Maybe you are charismatic enough to get a party going yourself and can i guess tune it to your level though, I am sure it is possible.

TLDR: Listening to Podcasts and iTalki lessons

3 Likes

Similar experience. Also felt like I was having the same beginner introduction conversation multiple times. I might go back to trying when I’ve levelled up more and am capable of understanding and speaking at an intermediate level

2 Likes

moving to japan and develop your talking skill by talking? You need a solid foundation, to actually be able to improve by talking. And just being in Japan doesnt help at all. Yes, you can get alot of ressource, for example in a bookstore, but in terms of people, its not like they come at you, and offer japanese lesson for free and try to be your friends. Finding meaningful connection is much more unlikely in japan, and also depends on you on a person how social skilled, charasmatic, circumstance you are in. What i just said maybe comes off as pesimistic, but i just want to make clear, that just going to japan isnt automatically the bewst way.

If you don t intent to go to japan due to lack of money or time, i recommend learning useful phrases. You can extract words and grammar this way, which i find myself in alot. And after that, its basically repeating youself phrases, in therms of efficiency, i would say a japanese pod, in terms of my recommendation, anything that makes you keep practicing more and not drop it. I personally would recommend breaking down songs, translating and learning them since that could make alot of fun, if youre already a little bit more advanced.

If you go to japan, i recommend atleast:

-going to a language school.(i m currently at genkijacs and the student support is great)

-staying at a japanese homestay.

Both recommendation ensure a basic amount of social interaction with japanese people, which will be crucial if you find youself alone in japan.(me currently in summervacation lol)

3 Likes

It is as you say, that depends on the type of person you are. However, going to Japan is DEFINITELY the best way to learn to speak the language, but you do have to make the effort of meeting people and speaking with strangers. It’s not going to happen by itself.

For example, I recently went to visit Japan for a month, and I interacted with Japanese people (mostly in Japanese) almost every single day I was there. In that short period of time, I notice improvement in both listening and speaking abilities. Living there, even for a year, would’ve given me even more gains, for sure! I made that happen though, and I threw myself out there, making lots of mistakes, etc. I even got the 日本語上手ですね!several times. If you’re just chilling in your apartment/hotel, and not interacting with strangers, then that’s obviously not conducive to meeting the goal of learning to speak. And I’m not even an extrovert. My desire to learn Japanese is all I needed to push me into uncomfortable situations.

I don’t know, this topic just seems too obvious to me. When people say it’s hard to do “X”, all I hear are excuses (especially given ALL of the tools we have at our disposal these days). You know who had it tough? It was those learning Japanese before the Internet was a thing, with no YouTube, Podcasts, Apps (what’s that?), BunPro, Social Media, etc, etc.

The best way to speak any language is simply to speak it with other people. Period!

4 Likes

OP was looking for ways other than visiting Japan.

How about getting Japan to visit you?! Err… how would that work…

ah!

You could advertise free homestay accomodation for Japanese students…

I mean, it does sound like the start of a horror movie but you don’t necessarily have to disembowel them after you’ve assimluated all their language learning worth.

10 Likes

My first reply to this thread was literally that, ways to improve speaking skills without going to Japan. You followed it with a similar reply.

That last reply, on the other hand, was in response to what Gabriel said. I partly agree with it, in the sense that going to Japan doesn’t guarantee that you’ll learn to speak the language, unless you put effort into engaging with natives. A lot of people, when they go to Japan, start making acquaintances with other foreigners, which is fine, but not very helpful in the endeavor of speaking Japanese. That’s the main reason why I brought up my experience when I went to visit.

Suggestions of shadowing and learning set phrases are good up to a point, but they don’t help develop the skills necessary to maintain a fluid conversation. The moment someone asks or says something you don’t have a set phrase for, you’re screwed. Plus you run the risk of sounding robotic and/or repetitive. That’s why it’s important to find a speaking partner as soon as you can say a few things, around N5 to N4 level.

If you want to improve your listening skills, you listen. If you want to improve your writing skills, you write, etc. This is why I find this topic obvious, and the reason why I think some of what was said (in terms of shadowing, listening to pod casts, etc) not very helpful in getting someone to actually speak fluently.

In short, there are no tricks nor shortcuts. You just need to speak with people in order to get better at speaking. Thankfully there are ways to easily do that these days, if going to Japan is not an option.

Take care! :blush:

3 Likes

I used The Mixxer (https://www.language-exchanges.org/) to find a conversation partner.

2 Likes

Personally I did find a consistent language exchange partner years ago and that helped tremendously. But like some of the other people here have mentioned, having a solid foundation really helps. My language exchange parter would talk about other people who had no to little communication skills in Japanese but still wanted to do language exchange. It was very frustrating for her. Make sure you can at least talk about your daily stuff.

Things aren’t always going to go smoothly, I sure as hell know they didn’t always for me. But it did get to the point that I forgot I was even speaking in Japanese, and that’s one of the best feelings.

Also, Japanesepod101.com is great for learning conversational Japanese. People will rag on it for various reasons, especially among the “immersion, no other method works” devotees. But I keep going back to it after several years.

4 Likes

Honestly, rote learning phrases is not worth the time if you are actually aiming to reach an okay level in the language. If you are talking about conversation then that isn’t actually “speaking Japanese”. Shadowing is perhaps the best “solo” activity one can do. I guess also slowly reading a text with perfect intonation, if you are into that kind of thing. My opinion though is that shadowing is kind of like practising reading by just doing vocab reviews - you will gain some ability to read but you will never be able to actually read properly.

As mentioned above, if you can’t hold a basic conversation about your day then most native speakers are not going to want to talk to you for more than 2 minutes. Conversation is a two way street so being able to understand your partner is just as important (probably even more important) than having perfect speech. As such one of the best things you can do to improve your conversational abilities is to just get better at understanding Japanese. You still need to speak to get better at speaking but not having to worry over what your partner is saying will make everything a whole lot easier. Just don’t put talking with native speakers off forever as some people use the “gotta get my comprehension up” excuse a bit too much.

5 Likes

Just adding here that I recently started joining “voice rooms” in hello talk and have had a pretty good time practicing conversation in those, for me there’s less pressure as it’s not one on one.
But yeah, hello talk is for sure worth trying out if you want some free conversation practice.

5 Likes

Haven’t try it myself so I’m not sure of how effective it will be to improve conversational skills but there’s https://www.fluentu.com/. It’s supposed to help with immersion through “from the country” videos, quizz and stuff, alas it’s not free :confused:

If anyone has feedback on it I’m interested still!

2 Likes

Hello, I was going to say shadowing, but then like other people pointed out, that doesn’t help you speak fluently. I use it to work on my pronunciation and intonation, one aspect of speaking, but not fluency.

One thing I’ve tried to do recently is look for Japanese language groups in my area. A university, college, or meet up group might have a Japanese-speaking hour or something like that to practice speaking.

4 Likes

Use Bing Chat. Set the language to JP. It has text to speech capabilities.

1 Like